Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Open hours vs. contracted hours

Hello. On my contract I state my open hours (7am to 5pm). I also have a section where the parent fills in their drop off and pick up time. I have a parent who stated on contract that his drop off/p up times would be 8:30 & 5:15. I agreed to the 5:15, without any extra fee. Parent also advised that from time to time meetings come up and he would be picking up close to 6pm. I thought, no problem...I can deal with time to time, after all, this 1 year old is a filler client, I advised them from the beginning in June that I can only take her until February (when I have a new full time starting). So...drop offs/pick ups have been gradually getting earlier & later. Now, he's at the door with her between 7:15 & 7:30 and not picking her up until about 6:15 (all of my other pick ups occur by 4:30). I am exhausted by the end of the day with this little one. I understand that it is a really busy time at work for him & that he's also (on his own) dealing with a toddler at a very busy stage at home. I've now requested that he call me by noon if he is going to be picking up later than 5:15pm and am thinking of instituting an extra fee for the late times.

So...after all that my questions....I am wondering if you all charge extra after a certain amount of hours of care...or just for the time period that the care occurs beyond your open time?
    I am thinking $5/every 15 min. past 5:15 in this case, but am torn if it's morally right as I was flexible from the start with times and that no where in their contract does it mention extra fees for late pick ups (I never have this problem with my regular teacher clients but have since amended my contract to include that).
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Starting to feel at home...
    I think if they told you it would be only occasionally that they would be late, then it's perfectly acceptable for you to to tell them that they need to pick up at X time or there will be an additional fee.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Starshine For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have in my contract that parents are only allowed to use the times scheduled on the contract so if I have a 7-4 and I have a 10 min grace period and then a late fee of $10/15 mins if I haven't been notified they will be late or $15/hour or part there of with notification.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

If that parent was in my care, they would be termed after the 3rd late pick-up. I don't put up with shit like that. These are my hours, and parents NEED to respect them!

I would tell that parent ASAP that these are my hours, and that you signed off on the contracted hours to please respect them, or they're gone. He has to remember that once you're closed, that it's YOUR family time.

Rewrite your manual NOW!!!!! And make him sign it. If you need help, you know what to do!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

That's two hours more per day than I allow. I let the parents choose their 9 hour increment during my open hours of 7:30-5:30. If they want extra, they pay $5 per half hour. If they agreed on an 8:30 drop off, why on EARTH are they thinking an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes early is in any way acceptable?

I would send a letter or email reminding them of the original agreement. Let them know that you refuse to provide care for this length of time.

Good luck. I hate confrontation.

I have been in MANY situations very same as yours. It starts with "may we pick up late once a month?" you let them (thinking..."once a month is no big deal!") then it goes to twice (without asking you)...you let it slide. Then somewhere along the line you realize, you are being "used" and also realize, what started as a "favor" from you (in your control) has now become and "abuse" by them and somehow THEY are now in control! All you need to do is..either let them know "face to face" that the late pick-ups can not occur anymore at all! or...you need to send out a reminder of your hours, with an addendum to your contracts stating: you will no longer allow ANY late pick-ups or early drop-offs with out an "outside hours of oporation fee" (the fee being what you choose. 5$/15 min. or a flat fee of so much) just STICK TO YOUR GUNS!!! In this job we are all "push-overs" from time to time, (thats why we are so good at what we do) we have soft hearts and are willing to do favors for these sweet kids and their parents. But you need to know your limits and if someone abuses them...money talks!!! (I am the first to take this advice, I have been a "door mat" off and on for almost 10 years) good luck!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    I have been in MANY situations very same as yours. It starts with "may we pick up late once a month?" you let them (thinking..."once a month is no big deal!") then it goes to twice (without asking you)...you let it slide. Then somewhere along the line you realize, you are being "used" and also realize, what started as a "favor" from you (in your control) has now become and "abuse" by them and somehow THEY are now in control! All you need to do is..either let them know "face to face" that the late pick-ups can not occur anymore at all! or...you need to send out a reminder of your hours, with an addendum to your contracts stating: you will no longer allow ANY late pick-ups or early drop-offs with out an "outside hours of oporation fee" (the fee being what you choose. 5$/15 min. or a flat fee of so much) just STICK TO YOUR GUNS!!! In this job we are all "push-overs" from time to time, (thats why we are so good at what we do) we have soft hearts and are willing to do favors for these sweet kids and their parents. But you need to know your limits and if someone abuses them...money talks!!! (I am the first to take this advice, I have been a "door mat" off and on for almost 10 years) good luck!
    You bet it does. Every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    I let the parents choose their 9 hour increment during my open hours of 7:30-5:30. If they want extra, they pay $5 per.
    Perfect! Exactly what I was wondering
    Sadly, I opened my doors a year ago with a fairly brief contract & with the belief that people, like myself are good, fair and kind (pretty much the behaviour I would demand from their children). I still believe people are, however, that belief is a bit tainted. A year in and I'm still making amendments to that contract; some day I'll get it right. I never imagined that, as a Daycare provider I would 'wear so many hats': Bill collector, bi-law inforcer, psychologist, therapist...and that's just in dealing with the parents
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~