Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

The "Babysitter"

Does this term get on anyone elses nerves as much as it does mine?? It's like fingernails on chalkboard for me! i was a babysitter when I was 12 thank you very much!

I know he means no harm, but one of my dc dads is constantly referring to me as the "babysitter". I shouldn't say constantly, because it's only been a few times but it feels like so much more because I hate it THAT much. I don't plan on it, but has anyone ever said something to a parent who kept referring to you as just a babysitter? I work way too hard to have the same title as a teenager who sits the kids in front of a tv all day!!

Yes I have said something in a joking but 'educational' matter about how offensive that term can be to someone who offers early years programing as a profession ~ its like going into the Dr office and addressing your Dr as a 'first aider'!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Yes I have actually .... I have a parent who calls me "the sitter" ....I told her the sitter is the teenager that you pay and exorberant amount if money too while your child is sleeping and she is sitting on your couch watching tv ..... I on the other hand make less money and spend all day with your child. She laughed and said your right sorry .... She's never done it since.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Lou

I have inlaws I see about once a year. The women will ask me each time I see them."Sooo are you still babysitting?" "My answer each year is the same "not since I was 16, however I am still operating my own daycare and it is going great. Thanks for asking "

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Yup, I took my ECE courses. I have training. I am NOT a babysitter. I correct them when they say it, and then I get the stunned look. Then I EXPLAIN why I'm not a babysitter! And they don't do it again!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Yes, I too got very tired of being referred to as the "sitter". I just told one of the greatest culprits that it bothered me as I actually went to college for this and was well trained in the field. She apologized and never said it again....in front of me any way.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Lou

Expansive...
    I have no formal education in the feild but I still take offence to it! It's just an ignorant comment...
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamma_Mia For This Useful Post:

Lou

Yes oh my gosh! I have the same opinion! I too consider a "babysitter" the 12 year old that sits and watched the kids watch TV. getting pd like 2$ and hour. wait!!! that's about what I make now!!!! ha ha ha
    My sis-in-law will often ask "if I can baby-sit her daughter on certain days" I know she means nothing by it, but it does bother me a bit!
    Maybe we could ask them to say "professionally babysit" ha

Euphoric !
    I don't allow it. If someone says 'babysitter' I repeat 'daycare provider' after them. My sister and one of my friends say it and I just quietly say that and they apologize. But the only client I ever had who did that was disrespectful in so many ways and I terminated them. I'm not afraid to tell people that I run a daycare program with learning, playing and routine and that is NOT a babysitter. Urggghhhhh!

The ONLY time I did not take offense to being called a babysitter was in the park a few months ago back in July. I was with my crew, playing and having a grand ol time. A little boy about 7 years old came up to me and said "you are a really good babysitter!"

His nanny was a few feet away...on her iPhone for the past 60 min that we were there. Poor kid. I asked him to join us and he did for the next 30 min. We all played together

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post: