Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Charging GST

Charging GST

It was recently brought to my attention that if you earn in excess of $30,000 per year (I wish!) from your Home Daycare then you have to remit GST. I cannot find that info. on the Rev. Can. site. Is it true?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Daycare providers are exempt from that

Euphoric !
    Ditto what Crayola said...we do not have to pay it no matter how much we make.

Euphoric !
    If you look on the revenue canada website it gives a list of services that are exempt from charging GST and childcare is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    Ditto what Crayola said...we do not have to pay it no matter how much we make.
    Yes, this is what I read too...weird. I just want to make sure in case I ever come close to earning the $30,000...I gave enough of my income for 30 years to the government!!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    If your rates are 40/day and you had 5 enrolled full time .... That's a grand a week x 52 weeks = $52,000. Even if you weren't full but had 3 full time for a year that's still over 31k.

That was my first post this question and I go a HUGE response from Reggio with lots of info. I still think about it and laugh. It started out with GRRRRRRRR

Euphoric !
    I'm positive we are GST exempt because one of my daycare Moms works for Canada Revenue. It's in big writing that childcare workers are exempt on their service pages, but I'm not good with finding links like that.

Outgoing
    The government actually tried to make me pay GST a few years ago because I made over thirty thousand gross, I had to fight with them before finally getting it resolved. Just another case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jodaycare For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jodaycare View Post
    The government actually tried to make me pay GST a few years ago because I made over thirty thousand gross, I had to fight with them before finally getting it resolved. Just another case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.
    Yup I got one of those phone calls as well telling me I had to sign up for a GST account and she was going to help me do it over the phone and had to argue with her NO I would not betting up an account cause my industry was excempt to the point her supervisor came to the phone and she tried to argue with me until I gave her the url over the phone to look up below ~ sadly I worry about how many providers actually just 'assume' that the government person calling them is correct and sign up and start paying this

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp...ptgds-eng.html

about 5 bullets down it reads from the exempt list ...
    child-care services (day-care services for less than 24 hours a day) for children 14 years old and younger.
    It works both was as well where someone who works in a government job has told someone they do not have to do something when clearly there is government rule or law in writing online that states that you do indeed have to if the person took the time to research it themselves but they take the persons 'word' for it cause they assume they work in that industry they should 'know' the answer and than it is the poor business person who ends up being left holding the bag for accepting that poor advice ... the reality is that all employees are 'human' and they make mistakes, some are just not strong scholars and they do not retain information or they graduated at the bottom of the class only knowing the 60% of info they needed .... this happens with those who hire a shitty accountant, those who have the bad luck of calling CRA and getting someone new or who was sick on a training day and sadly this happens in ALL industries like the DR who graduates bottom of his class and than constantly misdiagnosis his patients or gives them bad advice and people accept it as 'golden' cause they are a professional

I am one of those people who has learned over my life that if it is in regards to something that is going to directly affect me and my livelihood or health I do not take any one professional or persons word for it I always research any advice I am given to ensure that it is 'sound' advice so that if the shit hits the fan so to speak I have no one to blame but myself .... fool me one shame on you fool me twice shame on me
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post: