Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Really?!

Starting to feel at home...
    Jec, just because on "other forums" you may see some negative comments doesnt mean that they hate their job. "Other forums" are private and a safe place to vent the frustrations of the job. Just because someone is having a tough day/week doesnt mean that they are bad providers. What you should be thinking is "Wow isnt it nice that "other forums" are private and that i dont have to worry about being judged". Or how about "isnt it great that this provider is able to vent and recognise when thay are struggling with their job". Honestly, I am surprised to see you say this...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to giraffe For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Well said KIDLOVE, you put tears in my eyes!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to paz For This Useful Post:

Wait a minute giraffe...do you know what jec had read or exactly why this post is up? if not, how can any of us have such a certain point of view such as your? Not siding either way, only agreeing with the fact that if we do this job we should do it for the "right reasons"......jec, can you shed a little light on this? can you even briefly tell us what may have lead you to this post before we decide to "judge" either way?

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by giraffe View Post
    Jec, just because on "other forums" you may see some negative comments doesnt mean that they hate their job. "Other forums" are private and a safe place to vent the frustrations of the job. Just because someone is having a tough day/week doesnt mean that they are bad providers. What you should be thinking is "Wow isnt it nice that "other forums" are private and that i dont have to worry about being judged". Or how about "isnt it great that this provider is able to vent and recognise when thay are struggling with their job". Honestly, I am surprised to see you say this...
    I agree that we all need places to vent and pour out our frustrations without judgement however ..some of the 'other forums' are just breeding grounds I find for negativity. I never said they are bad providers- they are after all ensuring that the kids are fed, changed and safe but- in MY mind a daycare should offer more than that. To read day in and day out that someone hates their job - hates the same things over and over again. Not giving any positive reinforcement to someone but yet lending advice on the get rid of them attitude, my way or the high way attitude. So this is not about saying that we shouldnt' have some where to go and vent and be open and not judged but I have found that some places are just breeding grounds for negative energy and honestly, I can't be a part of it anymore.
    It's more than just a tough day/week - this job as others can be tough. Some are able to handle more than others- we are dealing with kids not a store and the boxes that go on a shelf and if someone can't get past the vent and or feeling that they hate their job and or resent too much, it's time to get out.
    I have had a tough year- getting started up and running- getting a few families that truly tested my ability and every job will do that but, it's those who are constantly hating it and running their business as a place to keep them fed/clothed and sent home in one piece.
    that being the way they run their daycare, it's not a place i would want to send my kids.

Some forums out there are just breeding ground for negativity and not just for venting and or find solutions

Starting to feel at home...
    I am not judging Jec but I am trying to shed light on the fact that sometimes providers need to vent. Most of us do not have access to co workers with whom to vent. A lot of venting is part of problem solving. Myself aswell as many others are more likley to vent more often on private forums rather than public "open" forums. I do think that some people are not suited for this job but I also think that sometime venting is just venting.

Jec, while I hear what you are saying, understand your perspective and appreciate your opinion, I have to say this forum and the ladies who are part of it have made me become a better provider and business person. The vents I read from some providers are women like us who are letting off steam to people who will understand where they are coming from - for the most part. We vent because we don't have the co-worker beside us or at the water cooler to roll our eyes and shake our heads with. Sure, some can get quite heated, but then we can respectfully say what we think too. We need to vent, it is healthy for us. As far as parents reading what we write on this forum, I am glad they do. The smart ones will understand where we are coming from. These parents, I am sure, have to deal with the public in their jobs to some capacity and understand that dealing with lots of different people and personalities can be a pain in the @ss sometimes and that they vent too. Check out the professional servers forum or a teachers forum, wow some of the situations can make most of ours seem so trivial.
    I agree, we need to try to balance our discussions and I find we do. Some of us tell about good times with the kids and the funny things they say and do. I always always appreciate the suggestions for menu, craft and problem solving. When someone has a question or issue, I am always surprised how many of us respond with productive suggestions and insight with lengthy tales of how they coped or have a solution to a problem. Cudo's to them everytime they respond because I know free time is not abundant. Anyway Jec, thanks for bringing this up, I've been wanting to say thanks for a while now to the members of this forum.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    Wait a minute giraffe...do you know what jec had read or exactly why this post is up? if not, how can any of us have such a certain point of view such as your? Not siding either way, only agreeing with the fact that if we do this job we should do it for the "right reasons"......jec, can you shed a little light on this? can you even briefly tell us what may have lead you to this post before we decide to "judge" either way?
    I've been chatting on a forum that to me does nothing but breed negative thoughts- it's all my way or the highway. Posts of not listening to what someone has to say but focus on something that the person replying may not agree and run on with negative thoughts and comments.

I've come read someone who constantly posts about hating the job and it's not just a bad day or week. We all need a place to feel safe to vent and get our frustrations around the water cooler but it was the every day negative tone and negative energy that lead me to just never go back onto this site and getting a feeling that certain providers really hated their jobs.
    I don't need to go in any further details as I'm not outing anyone and or being any more specific...I just generally feel that there are some providers out there who need to realize it's time to move onto another profession. We all have bad days, weeks- me included and as I said, I'm not perfect, FAR from it but as someone who is looking to get support and learn- found in my travels it's not just a day or week sad to say.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jec For This Useful Post:

Agree completely Giraffe thats what we all come here for.....the support. When things are going "really well" you don't need support, you need it when things are not going well, therefor you vent in order to get the support you need. I dont think "venting" is the topic for jec...if I understand what her point was, it was more a comment of "how great this forum is" apposed to others out there. If I'm "picken up what jec's layin down" is that this forum seems to be filled with MORE positive venting and all around support than others she has experienced. thats all! It was her little "vent" on the whole, great forum/not so great forum topic. right? I'm just glad I found the "greater" of the two.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

In adding....not sure if anyone else feels this way (i think it's just human nature) every once in a while when I feel the "balance" is off (a little too much negative dwelling in my day and with the forum) I feel like I should add a positive too..."so glad I have great kids" "so glad its friday" "funny things kids might say", seems more natural for our world to dwell on the negative, thats why the news amd media is so..."dreary" to say the least....no sun shine and roses in life, just clouds and weeds. I enjoy the vents cuz thats what we need to survive in this job, def can't take it out on the kids and parents (nor would we want to) but I def enjoy the positive posts and feedback as well. this is a good place to come for GOOD and BAD!!! I like it here.

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by giraffe View Post
    I am not judging Jec but I am trying to shed light on the fact that sometimes providers need to vent. Most of us do not have access to co workers with whom to vent. A lot of venting is part of problem solving. Myself aswell as many others are more likley to vent more often on private forums rather than public "open" forums. I do think that some people are not suited for this job but I also think that sometime venting is just venting.
    I agree...a vent is just a vent but as mimi also put, it's the vents that help us put things into persective and become better and learn from them. Yes, they do!
    I don't find the discussions on this forum like what I talk about at all....everyone here has been supportive as I mentioned and again, thank you for that.
    Some times a little up roar isn't a bad thing either- having someone not agree with you isn't a bad thing- again, learning and seeing a different point of view only makes you view things and see things differently.
    I need to vent like everyone else but for what I've been reading else where on a specific site- it's more than just letting off steam and it's a general vibe I get reading many of the posts. Not all providers on it are like I am saying, in fact, again I mentioned I learned from many of them too. Just I really do find this site to be more positive and helpful.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jec For This Useful Post: