Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Really?!

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    Agree completely Giraffe thats what we all come here for.....the support. When things are going "really well" you don't need support, you need it when things are not going well, therefor you vent in order to get the support you need. I dont think "venting" is the topic for jec...if I understand what her point was, it was more a comment of "how great this forum is" apposed to others out there. If I'm "picken up what jec's layin down" is that this forum seems to be filled with MORE positive venting and all around support than others she has experienced. thats all! It was her little "vent" on the whole, great forum/not so great forum topic. right? I'm just glad I found the "greater" of the two.
    You got me kidlove! venting isn't the topic ~ and just the positive outlook you had on what I had to say and your just one of the reasons that i'm sure many come to this site.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jec For This Useful Post:

AAAWW! okay now I have tears in MY eyes. Big Hugs all around.
    I have only been on this site for a couple months and have had days were I felt like maybe this "chat" stuff is no good, but.....I spent 10 years of "silence" in this field and can't imagine not having all you guys to turn to now. (whether we see things the same all the time or not) it is such a relief to read that I am not a psycho for feeling the way I do sometimes or here that I am not the only provider to deal with certain kinds of kids and parents, and just to find out that my point of view is not the only one. not to mention the fact that some of you guys are so "bold" to tell it like it is or disagree. I love it!!!!!!

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    it is such a relief to read that I am not a psycho for feeling the way I do sometimes or here that I am not the only provider to deal with certain kinds of kids and parents, and just to find out that my point of view is not the only one. not to mention the fact that some of you guys are so "bold" to tell it like it is or disagree. I love it!!!!!!
    Perfectly said! Have a great weekend!

Euphoric !
    For me, it's the isolation of working alone in my home. My family doesn't want to hear my problems with little children who may have annoying habits or parents who may have ticked me off in some way. None of my friends understand. They all think I'm crazy!

So, I need to have a few different forums where I can reach out to the adult world where other women are caregivers and understand my special problems. No matter what opinions others may have it doesn't mean that I'm going to do what they recommend. However, sometimes I pick up wonderful bits of advice I can apply to my daycare and even to my life and that's why I love the forums.

Some people make me mad but once I get that vibe I don't read their posts ever. I respect a lot of people on these forums for their wisdom and experience and insights so I always read their posts. But I'm still going to do what is right for me and my situation and my daycare.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I find that many of the daycare chat forums that are based in the US are more negative than one like this that is Canadian based. I do belong to many yahoo chat groups which is basically forum by email and most caregivers on there are US. I don't think we can even begin to imagine what it is like for some of them and what they have to deal with. Think of the worst agency you have ever come across and realize it is 10 times worse. The rules and regulations make little practical sense, there is a constant feeling of being spied on between food program visits, and inspection visits etc. On those groups there is a lot of negativity yes but when you put it into perspective you can empathise. We don't deal with the same issues at all. Yes the kids are the same but it is the job that is different. For the most part we control how our job is done and no one tells us what to do. Maybe if the negativitiy is an issue then sticking to Canadian forums for awhile would be a nice break.

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    For me, it's the isolation of working alone in my home.

So, I need to have a few different forums where I can reach out to the adult world where other women are caregivers and understand my special problems. No matter what opinions others may have it doesn't mean that I'm going to do what they recommend. However, sometimes I pick up wonderful bits of advice I can apply to my daycare and even to my life and that's why I love the forums.

Some people make me mad but once I get that vibe I don't read their posts ever. I respect a lot of people on these forums for their wisdom and experience and insights so I always read their posts. But I'm still going to do what is right for me and my situation and my daycare.
    The isolation was and still is the biggest hurtle for me too!
    I agree with what your saying too ~ I always listen to what other's have to say and take what I feel is right for the situation. I don't know where I'd be either without the support of the 'co-workers' on the sites. I was a part of a good one on facebook but I closed my facebook account- not a fan of it and miss the site though.

Starting to feel at home...
    I am a member of many forums. They all suit a different purpose for me. I am a bit introverted, don't have a lot of friends on the "outside", and even less so since I stay at home and chat with toddlers all day. It is nice to have some adult interaction in my life while I browse from time to time during quiet points in my day.

I like some forums for craft/menu/daycare design ideas, I like some for questions I have, some for venting frustrations, some for offering support, and some for pick-me-ups. I think every career has good or bad days, everyone vents about their "co-workers" from time to time. In this business, I have found that 90% of the job is totally awesome for me. But that 10% of bad (late payments, entitlement, screamers, etc.) seems to take up so much energy when a provider unfortunately has to deal with it that those posts seem to receive all the attention.

Usually when I have a problem like that, I go to my venting site first, get it all out, get some perspective, offer some support to someone going through the same thing on another site, get some ideas from my daycare design site to take my mind off of things, and then come on my positive site for a pick me up. It's possible that I could be judged as a negative provider that shouldn't be doing the job if you just read a vent. But I love kids, I love what I do, and every forum serves a particular purpose for me. I wouldn't necessarily judge every provider for every post. Besides not knowing them in person, it is very difficult to judge tone in posts so things often get miscontrued. Some one "telling it like it is" may seem absolutely cruel to one person and just what another person needed to hear to keep on with their day. Also, if you are finding that other forums are not helping you and only making you focus on the negative, there is no hard and fast rule that you have to be a part of every forum. Just use the forums that help you, and don't judge others for the forums that help them. Hope that helps you.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ladyjbug For This Useful Post:

jec
    Hey there ladyjbug- I dont' judge every provider for every post- I put in my other posts that not every provider is negative and I got a lot of support from many and thankful as you are for the support. I don't judge someone for a vent ...you should read some of mine.
    I think you might have gotten the wrong idea of the reason for my post- at the end of the day, it's a great site here and the positive vibes help to keep me positive. It's like you said, different forums help you out- I love the positive side of this one. We all have bad days, bad posts- none of us are perfect

Starting to feel at home...
    I haven't had a chance to read what all has been said about this post, but here is what I have to say:

I have an extremely hard time trusting people to take care of my daughter because of things I have witnessed. BUT having said that, I can honestly say that I have come to TRUST the woman on this forum. If I were in the situation where I needed to find a home daycare for my daughter I would definitely be PMing the woman on here until I found a spot!
    "If we all could see the world through the eyes of a child, we would see the magic in everything!" - Chee Vai Tang

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrightEyes For This Useful Post:

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFeet View Post
    I haven't had a chance to read what all has been said about this post, but here is what I have to say:

I have an extremely hard time trusting people to take care of my daughter because of things I have witnessed. BUT having said that, I can honestly say that I have come to TRUST the woman on this forum. If I were in the situation where I needed to find a home daycare for my daughter I would definitely be PMing the woman on here until I found a spot!
    It's a great forum ~ with great providers for sure

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jec For This Useful Post: