Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Is this a red flag?

I signed a new family last week for a par time little girl. She was supposed to start last week, but one of my kids came down with pink eye and her parents chose to keep her home. The pink eye was cleared up by Wednesday, but they made an excuse not to come on Thursday and Friday I was closed for the afternoon. Yesterday, I got an email saying her child had been sick last week and she still had a runny nose and a cough and preferred she stayed home but that she would come today. This morning, I got an email saying she's still not 100% and she won't be coming. They've already paid their deposit, so they're the ones missing out. This week was supposed to be a transition week (1 hour monday and tuesday with grandma present, half days wednesday thursday and fill day friday). I need her to start on her regular schedule next week because I need the money and I don't want to drag the transition week out any longer than I have to.

Both family and caregiver have two weeks to pull out. I honestly wouldn't be heartbroken if they did pull out, but I'm wondering if this procrastination in getting her here is a red flag. I know they're probably newvous about this, but I need her here or not here. I can't be doing this all the time. They understand that if they don't come, they pay anyways, so my initial thought is that as long as they're paying, it doesn't matter how often she comes. But she's only part time and she's 13 months which means getting her into our daily routine is going to be difficult to start and then if she's constantly not showing up, then it's going to be doubly difficult.

What do you think? Red flag for bad luck?

Euphoric !
    I really don't know. It's certainly peculiar. I'm wondering if they might be 'high maintenance parents' and a tad overprotective, which can be difficult to deal with. Yes, although they're paying, it doesn't really help the little girl integrate. It almost sounds like they might be having second thoughts? Maybe you should let them know that their window for the 'transition week' is closing next week and that if they wish to utilize it, then they should do so. Otherwise, you will have to move forward to the full time schedule or re post the opening.

I'm curious, why is Grandma going to be present? That seems odd to me....or is that normal and I've just never had it happen? I would think that would make the transition even worse and prolong the whole process.

I think I'd be inclined to start considering moving on.....if you can fill the spot of course.

I wouldnt really be too concerned, they may be dragging their feet and may also be very cautious regarding illness, either way you are getting paid. As long as they are paying, I would say...your ok. But I totally see your point of view, maybe next time you talk, you can just explain to them that she does need to start on a regular schedule or you may have to offer the spot to someone else, given you want your time "used" rather than paid for and "un-used". Are they paying full or are they getting a discount for the unattended days?

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post

I'm curious, why is Grandma going to be present? That seems odd to me....or is that normal and I've just never had it happen? I would think that would make the transition even worse and prolong the whole process.

I think I'd be inclined to start considering moving on.....if you can fill the spot of course.
    I am considering moving on. I've posted a ad. Grandma is present because with the little kids, I do two days of one hour where the child comes to play with their parent present so they become comfortable i nthe environment. And it's Grandma that is currently taking care of her, as the other two parents work

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    Are they paying full or are they getting a discount for the unattended days?
    They only just started. I charge for two weeks prior. Since they started in a off pay week, they only had to pay for one week. So last week, when they signed, they paid for this week. So they've paid up in full

Euphoric !
    If I were the parent and was about to start my child in daycare and then she got sick, I would not want to drop her in a new environment while she is not feeling well. It could simply be that. I say as long as they are paying, why worry too much? Are they paying full fees for the transition week? I charge full fees for this as the space is filled regardless of how many hours they use.

Euphoric !
    Agree with Sunnydays in the sense that they had options. And since Grandma has been looking after her she may be assisting with the stalling saying oh no she wouldn't be able to handle it. The fact they are paid up - don't be surprised if they ask for an "extension" of their unused time for another week of transition since this one didn't happen.

On a positive note if they are willing to keep her home whenever she is sick one of the main hurdles of childcare is already solved for you so that is a good thing.

Grandparents are great with the kids as babies and then parents often want the kids to have more as they get older and it is hard on the family dynamics to make the change. Even if child is not 100% you could suggest that Grandma come and bring her anyways tomorrow and if she really isn't feeling well just not stay long but it would still give the child a chance to meet the other children and you. Chances are she will be fine from a health standpoint.

I share care with some Grandparents (due to the fact, some people can't pay full) I have a full time rate and part-time rate, some of the kids I care for go to Gramma a few days a week and with me the rest.