Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Halloween!

Quote Originally Posted by apples and bananas View Post
    Last year we painted pumpkins, but my kids are little this year. One doesn't like the feel of paint and the other it goes right into the mouth. UGH!!! Any other ideas...
    I wasn't sure what to do as a trick or treat bag for the kids since they are all until 18 months.
    I have little ones too & I bought the face parts stickers for them to place on little pumpkins.
    As for a trick or treat; dollar store has some cute Halloween themed books, that packaged with some Halloween socks or something?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

I get a little pumpkin for each child and they paint, put stickers on it, sparkles....whatever we can glue on it. Then we insert plastic face pieces specificly for the pumpkin (dollar store) onto the front of the pumpkin. I let the kids choose which ones they want and I insert. We also have a Hallowe'en party and neighborhood parade walk to show off our costumes to whom ever is out. I send them home with age appropriate treats which they know they have to show parents first to get permission to eat (so they can be the bad guy!!) I take lots of pictures and give a copy to the parents. Fun, busy day.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    I would completely do whatever the parents want, but it is very strange that they didn't bring this up at the very beginning of care. They shouldn't be offended because this is going to happen in daycare and school and everywhere.
    I actually told them that we were gonna do activities about halloween and christmas ( more about Santa and christmas trees and such not about religion at all) and she was totaly fine with it! Now that I started to put up my decorations she tells me that. That's why I'm so confused about it all! Anyways I spoke to her about it and she dosent mind her dauther doing the crafts but she wont be there on the 31st... I just wonder what christmas time is going to be like :S

You could make it a "harvest party" or "fall Celebration" instead of "halloween"...yo u could focus on more of a fall theme rather than anything scary or halloween related, just to have respect for the JW family. I attend a Baptist church and they too are very anti-halloween. They don't frown on anyone who does take part (we do for fun! ) but they just don't take part in the scaryness of it , ghosts, goblins, skeletins and such! look up on internet, other ways to celebrate halloween for those whos religion doesn't allow.

Euphoric !
    A lot of schools have gone to very generic celebrations just for that reason of offending the least number of families.

It is something that the daycare family may not have had time to come to grips with in the sense that they were thinking ok Oct 31 we just take a day off and they do Halloween and it is done not realizing that we do the "theme" for a couple weeks. In school they will have to address this. While the kids are little they won't get it anyways so there are ways to go around it and you might be able to put her fears to rest in the sense of the kids see monsters on tv with sesame street and in cartoons firtrucks and houses talk so a pumpkin with a face is only scary and sinister to a child when we tell them it is.

Hallowe'en is about fun for the kids. I decorate my home with happy depictions of the typical Hallowe'en characters. We don't do or talk about scary stuff or religion. I respect other peoples opinions on Hallowe'en, but I think some folk take it way to seriously and forget that kids just want to dress up, run around the neighborhood and collect some treats. I also wonder about some people who delve into the negative instead of looking at the positive. In my neighborhood, if the weather is decent, some neighbors provide hot chocolate for the treaters parents and we all have quick friendly chats before the kids are on their way. We usually give out our treats outside to make it a more festive environment and to make sure kids are safe.

Starting to feel at home... angelina's Avatar
    well, we do it simple as we can. crafts, i don't put candies, as trick or treat will result to lots of treats. I will send them juice boxes, as they will get thirsty.
    If they whine, give them cheese. If they're not hugable, hug yourself. (me)