Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Halloween!

apples and bananas

Halloween!

Who celebrates it with their kiddies?

Who gives their kiddies a treat bag and do you fill it with candy or do you have other ideas?

What crafts are you planning?

Am I too early to be discussing this?

Outgoing
    I don't think it's too early... I already bought my kids' halloween costumes since they were on sale at Old Navy this past weekend (they picked them out).
    I'm not sure what I will be doing for halloween craft wise, but I am going to put a little treat bag together for them.

We always have a halloween party, the day of (sometimes the day before also/to include all kids) they come dressed in costumes and I always give them a "starter" to their nights "trick or treating" we play little games or watch a halloween movie. Always have "spooky" snacks. I love love love halloween. that and valentines, they are just made up holidays for nothing more than "fun". I also have them carve or paint, depending on ages their own pumpkin. (on good years, I have quite a few little ones left over from the garden.....this year lots, had a great summer!)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    We're going to have a Halloween Party! Everyone is encouraged to dress up that day and we'll take a group picture. We also go to the library on Wednesdays, so they can show off tehre if they like. I have a lot of younger kids so I don't give out candy, but we'll have a decorate-a-cupcake/cookie afternoon snack and a craft. Thinking of giving them those reusable tote bags to decorate to carry when they are trick or treating! We may watch "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" too and make pumpkin tealights with with older kids, if there's time!

Starting to feel at home... Big Hearts's Avatar
    I plan on taking the kids to a pumpkin patch and have them pick out pumpkins in a few weeks. then for a craft i plan on doing this craft from parent mag, i just picket up the decor and will bake cookies and treats to send home in a trick or treat bag they would have painted.

Euphoric !
    I have quite a few halloween cookie cutters so we make cookies and decorate, read halloween stories and I have some games for matching and sorting etc but with a halloween theme we play with. Add halloween puppets and a few stuffies collected over the years to the bin. I have one of the fake pumpkins you flick the switch to turn on. At first they are usually scared but then it becomes a game where they count and I turn it on and off. We start with a book about Joey a sad pumpkin who wasn't scary and by the end of the book he has a face - more funny than scary - but then he lights up. Then we do the same with fake pumpkin.

Crafts are hit and miss depending on the ages of the kids. I am more likely to make them things we play with and then they get to take them home such as a jackolantern fingerpuppet.

apples and bananas
    Last year we painted pumpkins, but my kids are little this year. One doesn't like the feel of paint and the other it goes right into the mouth. UGH!!! Any other ideas on what we can do with real pumpkins?

I was going to do a bat craft using handprints as the wings and a toilet paper roll as the body.
    We were also going to do pumpkins made out of paperplates using orange tissue scrunched up to glue onto the plate.

I wasn't sure what to do as a trick or treat bag for the kids since they are all until 18 months.

Euphoric !
    We do crafts for a week or two before Hallowe'en and our downtown library always has a scavenger hunt on 3 floors with music and everyone in costumes. I will have been taking my group there Hallowe'en morning for the 5th year this year and looooove it! We make a bag and practice trick or treating from the librarians for little toys and stickers and it helps the children understand better when their parents take them out that evening.

I always make monster faces for lunch, eg: mashed potato eyeballs with an olive in the middle, pepper strips for ears, broccoli hair, ham sliced into scary teeth, cherry tomato nose.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a family in my DH that are jehova witnesses.... and when I invited her dauther for the halloween party she got very offended ( I didnt knw they were JW btw..) So, I'm just wondering what i should to about this... I have told parents that we will have a party for halloween, ive been talking about it with the kids... and asked my mother in law to come help out with the practice trick or treat! what should i do?

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mlle.coccinelle View Post
    I have a family in my DH that are jehova witnesses.... and when I invited her dauther for the halloween party she got very offended ( I didnt knw they were JW btw..) So, I'm just wondering what i should to about this... I have told parents that we will have a party for halloween, ive been talking about it with the kids... and asked my mother in law to come help out with the practice trick or treat! what should i do?
    I always ask the families as they are signing the contract if there is any problem celebrating all of the holidays but I keep religion out of the daycare and celebrate everything at kid fun levels. I believe religion is best taught at home by the parents because there are so many variations.

If I were you I would ask the family honestly how they would like for you to handle the situation because Christmas is coming, then Valentine, St. Patrick, Easter, etc. Do they want to find alternate care when you have a special day? Do they want their child to colour or do something different while your other children are making holiday crafts? Can they give you something to say to the child so he/she doesn't feel left out? I would completely do whatever the parents want, but it is very strange that they didn't bring this up at the very beginning of care. They shouldn't be offended because this is going to happen in daycare and school and everywhere.