Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

What is your pay policy?

My situation is a bit different, I am only doing before and after school. Right now I have 2 kids 5 days a week and 1 kid only 4 days a week.

It is stated in my policies that stat holidays are paid and they pay if their child is sick.

But what if your told in advance of days the child won't be there? One parent told me today that the child (here 5 days a week) will be not here Monday (only morning) and away all together Thursday and not here next Friday. Also not here on PA Days (I charge $35 for PA Days). I knew in advance before we started about PA Days so don't charge for those days. She already paid for the next 2 weeks so if she is pulling her now Monday morning and Thursday I am not re-inbursing her.

But now the Friday of the Thanksgiving long weekend is throwing me off. Do I still charge her for this day? Cause I am billing her for the stat Monday that follows so I can see this being questioned why she paying for a day the child is not here. I have already been questioned this pay week why they were paying 2 weeks PRIOR to care since the child sick days would have to re balance everything. I told them to re read the contract. Unfortunately the contract doesn't state about days they voluntarily keep the child. I wasn't anticipating so many flex/part time schedules either when I made my contract.

Maybe I need to re-structure the policies and re-submit to the parents?

Euphoric !
    Unless I'm closed the parent pays .... If you are ready able to work you should get paid. What was the agreement when they signed on ? Pay for everyday or only pay when you are here? If they are only paying for when they are there you are going to lose a lot of income .... You are holding that space for them and they should pay for it otherwise you could fill it with someone a little more dependable.
    Last edited by Crayola kiddies; 09-20-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Shy
    This is in my contract:

• all days that your child is scheduled to attend are paid for including Statutory Holidays and days when your child is sick or otherwise unable to attend. You are paying for your child’s spot as I cannot take on extra children simply when they are away and I will not go over the recommended ratios.
    • You do not have to pay for any days that I am unable to provide care due to myself or my children being ill. Since payment is in advance, it will be deducted off of your next payment when that is due. You will need to provide back up care in the event that I am unable to care for your child. Daycare is not responsible for finding alternate care for your child.
    • Statutory Holidays: daycare will be closed on these days.
    • Vacation: You may take 1 week (5 days) vacation without fees. Any vacation days above this amount will require payment. Advance notice of this week is required.

Yup, same as Crayola. I'm open, you pay. I'm closed (unless it's a stat), you don't pay.

Parents have to realize that you're keeping the spot for their child. They don't want to pay, then you can advertise for that space, and someone else can take it!

Euphoric !
    Well your policy seems clear enough ..... The days scheduled in contract are M T W T .... and if you don't want to bring mon morning or thurs at all ok but it's still paid

I have a "minimum due"....they have a regular "full-time" or "part-time" charge for their set scheduled days, but in order to protect my income I also have a set "minimum due"....keep in mind I'm US so my charges may seem different than yours but.....full time=125$ week
    min due=100$ week
    whether they use all 5 days or call in for 3 days with 24 hr notice, they still pay 100$.

Outgoing
    Hi everyone - I am opening a home daycare in January and am drawing up my contract and policies & procedures. I am curious about how to charge for my vacation time. The CCPRN website states:
    Caregivers are self-employed and therefore are not entitled to "paid sick time", or "paid vacation". To accommodate for this some caregivers charge more per day and bank the extra money for when they are sick or on holidays. Others use statements similar to the one below:

"Weekly fee for care is _____, totaling an annual amount of ______. Payment is expected for the agreed upon hours/days whether the child is in attendance or not. Payment will not vary due to statutory holidays, child’s illness or appointments or parent vacations. Fee will be negotiated if caregiver takes excess of ____days off annually."

Another term for this is being "paid by enrolment". The language is very important in case of an audit by Revenue Canada. If you are audited and your contract mentions "paid vacation" and "paid sick time", Revenue Canada can request the parents pay CPP and UI Benefits. Remember also, Revenue Canada can go back 6 years.

So, does this mean that the parents do not pay me for the time that I am on holidays, but instead, I am to build it into my daily rate?

Any help on this is very much appreciated!
    Thanks!

Outgoing
    I read those statements when I began too, so I used the wording "paid by enrolment" as well, and did not mention paid vacation in the contract at all. I do charge for stat holidays, but I will not charge the parents for days I may have to close due to my own illness. If their child is sick, they still pay because of the "paid by enrolment" wording.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by treeholm View Post
    I read those statements when I began too, so I used the wording "paid by enrolment" as well, and did not mention paid vacation in the contract at all. I do charge for stat holidays, but I will not charge the parents for days I may have to close due to my own illness. If their child is sick, they still pay because of the "paid by enrolment" wording.
    Thanks, treeholm! So just to be clear, do you still get paid when you are on vacation? Should I say something like: your fee of XX per day is paid by enrollment. And then explain in person that that includes when I am on vacation? I can foresee some irritation by parents paying me before I go on holidays

Euphoric !
    My contract states that full fees are due 49 weeks every year no matter if there are sick days, stat days or missed days for any reason. The other 3 weeks of the year I am closed for my vacations. It's simple and straightforward and easy for parents to understand.