Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Confronted...now parent cold:(

Geez I really dislike this part of our job. Having to be the 'enforcer'. Parents sit smiling as we go over the contracts & sign happily. Everyday, sick, tired, no matter what's going on in my life I hold up my end of that contract with a smile and never ending patience. Imagine if I decided one day; I'm going to sleep in today...and left all the parents waiting outside...and then decided to do it again and again...because I got away with it. Not question would I be in business very long! And yet, I'm having to deal with a cold, displeased parent (with a really sweet child, thank goodness) because I professionally, calmly & politely put my foot down & enforced my contract...after me (stupidly) admittedly letting things slide for him for some time. I get so mad at myself for how much real estate the stress of this stuff takes up in my head sometimes.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

apples and bananas
    I hear ya! It's the roughest part of the job. Why can't we just get parents that are reasonable, respectful and understanding. There's one in every bunch I think.

I have some great parents right now, but I'm about to enforce a vacation policy for the first time and I'm worrying about it a little bit. Hope it goes ok, but if it doesn't, there's my door. My policies are clearly laid out and if it's a misunderstanding that's one thing, but mostly they understand, they just try to get away with stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by apples and bananas View Post
    My policies are clearly laid out and if it's a misunderstanding that's one thing, but mostly they understand, they just try to get away with stuff.
    Yup. apples and bananas nailed it down. This is it exactly! Stay strong and keep enforcing your policies. Otherwise you become a doormat. Daycare parent is just mad that he has to play by the rules.

Totally know what you are talking about......you can give a mile and they will take, but couldn't imagine the other way around....and when you do "ask" of parents, a lot of them respond with a "this is not easy for me attitude" or they just don't respond AT ALL! I have has to make a comment to a parent or two in the past like: "What if your employer decided to pay you a week late?" hmm. or How about if your "clients" were at your place of business 15 minutes early every morning? gets a little old after a while.....but you put up with it to PLEASE and KEEP THE PEACE! then have that moment of "enough is enough" feel for you....really do!