Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Milk

Shy

Milk

How much much should you provide to the kids before you start charging extra for milk?

I have one kid his parents say to give a bottle when he goes down for a nap, so I do what I am asked. I provide 8 ounce milk to him, and if he doesn't go down the want me to give him 8 to 12 more ounce of milk meaning 2 more bottles. That is more than half a bag of milk I just have given to the child.

Euphoric !
    I ask parents to fill bottles and send them if the child is still taking bottles. Otherwise they get one cup of milk daily after lunch.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    That just sounds completely unnecessary. Forget about charging extra, I wouldn't do it. I'm not sure it's healthy either. How old is this kid?

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by gcj View Post
    That just sounds completely unnecessary. Forget about charging extra, I wouldn't do it. I'm not sure it's healthy either. How old is this kid?
    I totally agree with you it is so unhealthy. I have a 3 year old son and he doesn't drink as much milk as that child does, also my son weighs approx 36lbs, and this boy is only 2 years old and weighs twice as much as my son.

I am starting to get fed up with it, I cannot provide so much milk to that child. He doesn't want to eat, is parents say give him milk he will be fine

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree 100% with the above posters. Myself i provide 6oz of milk (2%) at lunch. If a child needs more, or a different type of milk (homo, rice, soy) then it must be provided by the parent. I also feel that this child is to old to be going to bed with a bottle, I dont do bottlea after 14mth. But if you arnt interested in stopping his botles maybe since he is used to having a bottle at nap, have you thought of reducing the amount given? Maybe 4oz.??

Euphoric !
    Parents must provide what goes in bottles ....as well if they want homo they must provide that too and I want kids on sippy cups by the time they are a year a I stop the bottle shortly after and I dont do bottles in bed at all but a bottle of milk in bed is so bad for their teeth cause milk is loaded in sugar and will rot their teeth. And I would never give a two year old child a bottle ever regardless of what the parents want to do at home

Starting to feel at home...
    Agree with all the posts above for sure! Figure out what you're willing to provide and have the parents provide anything more than that.

Euphoric !
    Anything in a bottle must be provided by the parent and this is one of the reasons why. The other reason is I got tired of being asked to fill a bottle for the child to drink on the car ride home even though it was only a 10-15 minute ride at most. I provide 4-6 oz of milk for one snack and lunch, and 4 oz of juice at other snack. Anything else is water. And anything I provide is in a sippy cup.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Parents with infants who still use bottles must send them full here too. Homo milk must be sent in by the parents because I only supply 2% and I serve a cup of juice with breakfast, milk with lunch and afternoon snack and water the rest of the day. That's my milk budget.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

I also require anything in a 'bottle' to be provided from home ... IME it encourages them to wean off that quickly

There is no way I could in conscious allow a child to drink 16-24 oz of milk in ONE SITTING specially so close after presumably eating lunch that is creating unhealthy eating habits and IMO is teaching a child to 'eat' to self soothe to sleep rather than learning to actually fall asleep in a healthy manner. I personally would feel obligated to share resources / articles with the client that promoted healthier options for dealing with their child diet and sleep habits.

Once a child has transitioned to a cup I provide access to 2 serving of dairy per day as per the Ontario Day Nursery Act requirements for a child in care more than 6 hours a day based on the Canada's Food Guide ... which I do not always agree with but it is the guiding document we are suppose to use

A serving size for a child over the age of one but under the age of 6 is 125 - 175 ml .... so that is only 250 ml to max of 350 ml.

http://childcarelearning.on.ca/child...oom=24&item=74

This does not necessarily all come as milk to drink in a cup because dairy can be yogurt or cheese, cottage cheese, smoothie, cream sauce in casserole, milk on cereal and so forth and well.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi