Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Daily Report for each child?

Wasn't too sure where to ask this. Do you have a written daily report for each child's parents at the end of the day? I thought it would be nice for the parents to know what their kid did that day,a nd how they were. But, I don't know if I'll actually have TIME to do this! I'll talk to the parent at pick up of course, I just know from the daycare I send my son to right now, when there's more than one parent picking up - it's hectic and not really time to actually talk. And this daycare has TWO care providers.
    Thanks!!

Outgoing
    I don't do a written report. The only time I would have to do them is during nap, and quite frankly, I can't be bothered to do them. At pick up time I sometimes let them know what we did during the day, how long the child napped, etc.. but usually I just let them know if the kid had a good or bad day, or if anything specific happened, I will let them know then.

Outgoing
    There have been other posts about this and varied responses and opinions. Personally, I do a journal...it's just a small memo pad for each child. I simply write, morning snack, lunch, naptime, afternoon snack. And since I'm not organized enough to have a weekly menu, I write what's for lunch tomorrow. If the child is potty training, I might jot down how/when.... or anything cute, funny or bad even . But on a day to day it's just food and naps. A lot of people say they don't have time, but seriously, the way I do it it takes no time at all. While they're at the table, I quickly jot it down....like one minute, maybe....
    It's basically just what I'd want to know as a parent and sometimes it's difficult to talk at pickup...that and I have a TERRIBLE memory!

Yes, I do the daily reports with a personal comment about any achievments, cute moments, concerns etc. I hate doing them, but the parents LOVE them! They always ask if the sheet is in their backpack because they enjoy reading my notes. Some of them read them in the car before leaving. Good grief people, if you only knew what a pain they are, however I know of a couple of my clients who said they chose me because I do these sheets. sigh I quess I'm stuck

Outgoing
    I have communication books that go home daily with each child. I jot down meals/snacks and naptime as well as diaper changes. I use this to ask for supplies that are running low and to jot down little notes like if they took any steps, new words that they said, etc. I know most of my families don't bother to read it as they never send what I've asked for or they have the nerve to text me and say "did little ****** nap today as they seem quite tired" yet its right there in the book what time they napped from. I have a couple families that love the books so I continue them. Takes me only a couple minutes each day to do them.

I started with log books last year, a monthly menu & newsletter....but found that parents rarely read them. This year, I sent out a mass email asking each what level of communication they would like from me. All but one said, just let us know when something is out of the ordinary. The other one wants to know everything; exactly what & when their daughter had snacks/lunch, liquid intake, diaper changes, what she did...and since I started this at the beginning in May with her (as I do with all mostly at the first) sending along pictures throughout the day...they expect those too daily. Sigh, only until March with this family when my new full-timer starts. Ironically, this family, who are the most demanding are the only ones I have ever had problems with challenging & breeching my policies/contract. This family is my last pick up & I have started emailing off the daily form to them even before she leaves.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Shy
    thanks! so its probably do-able. I did it when I worked in a group home, and it was a great communication tool.

Euphoric !
    I too do communication books, they are small spiral notebooks from the dollar store, I only write outside time , lunch and nap details ....takes about a minute and a half per book and I do it while they kids are eating.... If thechild normally has a bm at daycare and doesn't on a certain day I write that in and I use it to let parents know of needed supplies ... My parents sign each page so I know they've read it and they can let me know of any thing they feel is important as well

Euphoric !
    I don't make a communication book or logbook for the parents. I have a logbook for myself where I jot down food eaten or not eaten, naptimes and diaper changes with bowel movements. This is for me. I can see when children's eating habits change and sleeping habits change and try to plan for toilet training if they are regular with the poops. I only give the parents a verbal of our day at pickup time.