Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control

View Poll Results: How would you handle this situation? (Picky eater)

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Applesauce without taking a bite

0 0%
  • Stick to dayhome rules and no applesauce without a bite

12 100.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

How would you handle this picky eater?

I have a dcb who is extremely picky. Since, he has been with me he has made some progress but is still pretty limited in what he will eat. He just turned 2. My rules is you must take atleast one bite and then if you dont like it, you may choose from an apple sauce of yogurt to eat. Today, he absolutely refused to even take one bite. Sat at the table, wimpering that he was hungry and could he please have an applesauce. I was completely torn. On one hand, I dont want anyone to go hungry. On the other hand, this kid is very manipulative and spoiled at home and I want to keep a firmness with him, as well as not caving infront of the other kids who were witnessing this. What would you have done? Gave him the applesauce without him taking a bite of his lunch, or had him go hungry? I wont be posting what I did because Im more interested in what other peoples take on this is.

He's spoiled rotten at home. You have to let him know what YOUR rules are. And you have. If he's hungry, he'll eat it.

All my dcks knew that if they didn't finish what was served to them at lunch or snack, they don't get their treat. I had dcg3 over the summer tell dcb2 that if he didn't finish, you won't be getting the treat for the day! lol

Euphoric !
    Personally, I wouldn't even offer the option of an applesauce or yogurt. I serve 2-3 items for lunch and they eat what they eat, but no substitutions. I serve milk near the end of lunch so that will put something in their tummies if they ahven't eaten, but it isn't like they are going to starve to death before snacktime if they don't eat lunch. All my kids come around and start eating what I serve because they know there is nothing else.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

same here! big time! No apple sauce, no yogurt and he can get down from the table if he refuses what I provide, I understand kids just plain "not liking" what if for lunch every once in a while (even then they MUST have respect and take a bite first) however, you can completely tell if a child is "spoiled" at home!!!! One meal missed won't kill him. BUT, I also have guidelines with how far I will let the "not eating" go. If a child is making no progress and/or the parent is not willing to work with me...I will let a child leave my Day Care over that as well. Just did about 3 months ago, had a boy who wouldn't eat my food (cried every day at lunch) not only was it stressful on me each day, but also VERY stressful on him. His diet at home was nothing like the foods I provide (not healthy home food ) In that situation I felt my guidelines were not being met or respected by the parents and it was not in the best interest of the child to remain in my care.

Euphoric !
    I serve two items for breakfast and two items for afternoon snack. I serve a protein item, bread item, and 2 veggies for lunch. Then I serve a good variety of fresh fruit after lunch is eaten. But I have a little boy in care who takes so long to finish most of his lunch that he always misses out on the fruit after lunch. We have an occasional treat at that time too and he always misses out on that too. I don't even know if he gets it, but he's almost 2 and this is just the tip of the iceberg with my problems with this guy.

Anyway, that's my rule, you have to do your very best to eat most of the good nutritious food first before you even get fruit, let alone an applesauce or yogurt.

In offering the applesauce or yogurt it is kind of like rewarding them for not eating, in the sense that those are both very yummy snacks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I wouldn't offer any option either ... Eat what's served or starve .... I'm sure your not serving liver and onions so eat what you've been given and IF you eat it ALL then you get an applesauce or yoghurt .... I don't throw out food !!!

Starting to feel at home...
    Same here, my kids have to eat what they are given and than they could have a fruit, a yogourt or apple sauce. They will only get the second item if they ate well and in a timely manner. Eating could become such a stuggle and it takes only once to show him that if he cries/wimpers or tries hard enough he could win the battle.
    It's hard for sure but well worth it at the end!

Expansive...
    Ditto all the above!
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Outgoing
    There are no alternatives around here either.... You eat or you dont. I had a little boy who would not eat veggies at first. I never budged. He is now eating cucumbers, red adn green peppers, tomatoes, carrots and brocoli. Mom does"nt even serve them at home and was stunend to see him eat the red peppers over here.
    I don't think they will STARV until snack time. If they were starving they would eat what's in front of them in the firstplace. He knew he would be getting the applesauce so why botter eating what he did not want ?