Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eventful day.

Starting to feel at home...

Eventful day.

I posted earlier about struggling with my after school kids not listening and being disrespectful. Well, today, one of them decided to walk out onto the road and was *thisclose* to being hit by a car. His mother is bringing me a leash for him tomorrow so I can attach it to his belt loop and the other end to the stroller/me.

Please, please, please send me some fill 'er up vibes. If I can get one more full-time child, I can be done with this!

Expansive...
    Geez!!! How old is this child?!

He is 9 years old! He is very smart (book-smart), but his emotional and maturity level are much younger than his age.

I have my own child who is school-age and he is wonderful! I look at the other kids I'm watching and I'm shocked at their behaviour. I don't know if it makes a difference that my son is homeschooled, but he is so well-behaved.

If I didn't need to pay the bills, I would terminate this kid in an instant. Unfortunately, I can't until I find a replacement.

Expansive...
    Oh man, yeah there is a reason that last summer was my very last providing school age care! I do watch every day my daughter's friend before and after school, but she is no hassle whatsoever, very respectful, and in fact once I've given them their afterschool snack they're off on their own playing! I couldn't handle a child THAT old, being so disrespectful of your rules. I'd live on Mr. Noodles for a month to avoid that kinda stress!! Hope you fill up soon and can be gone with him! (((hugs)))

Right there with ya LOU. I quit school aged kids the summer before this and this summer was the best EVER. Peace all day long. As far as I'm concerned...there is NO PLACE for school aged kids in my home...... except for my two kids.

Oh this age is so not my forte either ... I do agree with the sentiment that you can send off a perfect little 4 year old angel from your program to enter into school and what returns is some other entity you do not recognize ~ the attitude, the behaviors, they saucy playground mouth and so forth ~ they get exposed to so many different 'behaviors' at school that seem to work for other children and so they try to come back to daycare or the home in an effort to make sense of them by trying them all out on you or the daycare crew ~ it is exhausting!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi