Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

When should parents start looking for care?

I've recently been hearing from a lot of parents who are looking for care as late as May 2013. All I can think to say is that I'd be happy to put them on my waiting list in the event that I have an opening at the time.

In one respect I understand them wanting to find the perfect place and secure a spot, but isn't it the nature of home daycares that you only know if there is a spot at the time it is needed? I'd like to have some thoughts to share on when they can expect to secure a space (with me or someone else).

Thanks!

Euphoric !
    I always respond to those emails politely asking them to contact me again 2-3 months before they are returning to work because it is impossible to predict ahead in our business unless we know for certain we have an upcoming space available. I tell them that surprises do happen all the time and ask them to keep my information and that if I don't have a space that I'll be happy to try to help them find someone else who can help them.

Yup ~ IMO going on waiting lists that far in advance is more for large centre care where A) infant spaces are more in demand due to the access to subsidy and B) they can more easily predict that spaces are coming available months in advance because they have 10 infant spaces to work from plus 15 toddler and 32 preschool and so forth so an 'infant is always graduating up into the toddler room and a new one starting' just about each month or so cause this is the nature of centre care getting them to grow up into the toddler / preschool spaces as quick as possbile

In home childcare I have 'pre-booked' spaces a year in advance generally for a September spot but only when I know I have a client who is graduating out of my program due to attending school full time however even then I always tell the prebooking client that IF the space comes available earlier than anticipated that we would have to renegotiate the prebooking contract as the space can not sit empty ... so their option will be to commit to paying for an earlier start date to secure the NEW spot or forgo that spot and return to the waiting list.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    I only hold a space that far in advance if I KNOW I'm going to have a space open at that time. Otherwise, I just ask them to contact me closer to the date and I'll put them on my list.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Euphoric !
    In some parts of the country there is a wait list to get into the good daycares be they centres or homes so getting an early start is critical and is why they often contact while still pregnant.

Mostly when I get those kinds of calls it is from people who have moved from other areas or read magazine articles based on those areas. I reassure them that there is a much better supply than demand and that they have time to get to know their child and their temperment and then will have a better idea of the kind of placement they are looking for but to please keep in touch with any questions. I point out the links for things such as kijij, usedottawa and daycarebear as well as the CCPRN so that they know they have lots of options for looking but it also shows them that there is a constant supply of new listings too.

Depends a lot on if I know if I will have an opening about the time they are asking such as a mat leave coming up. In that case I consider it providence and would probably agree to interview them but might not agree to a contract at that point. I want them to visit around and be sure before they sign with me so they don't change their minds in the intervening 6 months. I just keep in contact with them and when we get down to closer to 3-4 months look more at getting something in writing. I explain to them that this method eliminates the need for the holding fee and they like that but it also means I get to make decisions that are right for me closer to the time such as maybe another child is now leaving too and the familly puts me in touch with a friend with two kids - I then need both spaces and would rather take a recommended family. I also find those that start the search early are sometimes either overly demanding or flaky in the sense of what they want. Making them wait on my schedule for interviewing helps me see how controling they are too.

Outgoing
    I've recently had one for May and one for March. All I say is that it is too early for me to know whether or not I will have a spot. I am more than willing to do an interview and put them on my list in case, but my spot (I'm advertising for one) needs to be filled immediately and there is no way I will know if there will be a spot by then. Then I tell them to email me or call me back three months prior. That's still PLENTY of time. I mean MAY!? Their kid is only 4 months old!! lol