Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcernedParent View Post
    Wow! Hope my the babysitter who looks after my kids doesn't think like you. She has a decent rate. Cheaper than the daycares. Does that mean my kids get mediocre childcare?

As for first aid, most people in my place of business do not know first aid but you can bet there are designates that do including employees and definately building staff does. Whether mom and dad have first aid is of no concern to you. Your concern is the business you run and if you're equipped to handle immediate emergencies like choking and CPR. And if that is asking too much and then you shouldn't be looking after other people's children. We're paying you, remember??
    Wow...that's harsh...and yes, you are paying us...but we don't work for you! We are NOT your employee. We are offering a service just like any other bussiness.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fruitloop For This Useful Post:

Uhh, okay. You have your standards. I have mine. Yours makes you happy. And mine gets me through the day especially when my 2 year old is in the care of another for 9 hours a day 5 days a week. And if you think wanting first aid is harsh then you're definitely a service I wouldn't be needing. No hard feelings. I've got 1st aid and want the babysitter to have it too. Simple.

Trust is earned. And when we send our kids to complete strangers we are desparetely in search of that trust factor. With my first born, I loved his babysitter from the second I met her. She had a beatiful personality and was very loving. Her house was clean, bright and toddler friendly. Her husband and children were just as charming. BUT as much as I liked her there was that trust factor because she was a stranger. So yes, the police check gave me a piece of mind. You are right. )

That was supposed to be a smiley. Oops.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcernedParent View Post
    Uhh, okay. You have your standards. I have mine. Yours makes you happy. And mine gets me through the day especially when my 2 year old is in the care of another for 9 hours a day 5 days a week. And if you think wanting first aid is harsh then you're definitely a service I wouldn't be needing. No hard feelings. I've got 1st aid and want the babysitter to have it too. Simple.
    I wasn't refering to wanting your provider to have first aid. I have my first aid. I was refering to you thinking that we are your employee...that is harsh since it is completely false. I think every single person on the planet should have first aid no matter who you are.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

I think you misread my statement. I don't think that at all.

Euphoric !
    Although I have police checks done and would require it from a daycare provider, I also agree that they don't really prove a lot. All it proves is that the person has not been caught and convicted of a crime. You can have a clear police check and be a pedophile...it just means you haven't been caught. I completely understand why parents want it, but they should also understand that it doesn't mean they can trust the caregiver necessarily. For that they should rely more on instincts, references, and the child's behaviour as well as unscheduled drop-ins (I know this is not popular with a lot of providers, but as a provider, I am good with it as long as the parent takes the child home with them and I believe it should be done).

Starting to feel at home...
    I also allow unannounced drop-ins, so long as parents take their child when they leave. I am very upfront about that and encourage it, if they can on occasion. I think that it enables a certain amount of trust to simply tell a parent that you understand their concerns and have a plan to alleviate them.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Euphoric !
    I think most caregivers are ok with parents dropping in on occasion - but yes child must go with the parent so no just popping in on your coffee break or lunch hour and going back to work. As a caregiver though I always have to take the child's side in situations. While they are excited to go with mom what about them being in the middle of an activity that is going to take awhile or anxiously waiting their turn as in been promised they are next for the paint easel or after snack we will play the big blocks you like or that we are having cupcakes for afternap snack for a child's birthday or because we made them that morning just for fun. Then child is suddenly yanked away from their day. I really don't like it when the parent puts their insecurities first and doesn't take their child's feelings into consideration. And no too bad mom is not hanging out for the rest of the day - child will just miss out and no we are not doing it tomorrow just for him. We have a daily agenda.

Euphoric !
    Playfelt: although I can see your point about the child missing out on acitivites etc, I just feel that as a parent, our number one job is to keep our kids safe and to do this, we have to know that they are being well cared for in their daycare. So, I feel as a parent, I would rather deal with a child who is upset about missing something than missing a potentially abusive or neglectful situation because I was too concerned about them missing something to drop in and take them home early. I have been on both sides and I know that it can be a pain as a provider, but I still feel strongly that parents should do it, especially in the beginning when they are getting to know the provider.