Eeks, I was a Mom at 19, a Grandma at 38 and I've been a grandma for a while now. I always worked outside the home, but I got sick of making other corporations rich and working with (sorry) total bitches, and I bet a lot of you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I was never self-employed before but when I decided to start this home daycare business I came in cold and had a lot to learn. Thankfully, in my first year in business I found a wonderful group of co-workers (other like-minded home daycare providers) who taught me to be strong, to stand up for myself, to create an iron-clad contract and to respect myself so that my clients will respect me. I'm doing great now thanks to a wonderful support system with other HDCP's in my area. I am so lucky.

I never want to work with horrible women again or for a big company again and it looks like my daycare is a huge success so I won't have that worry now. I have a long waiting list of people in case I ever have another space open up. I keep my CPR/first aid up to date but have not bothered with a police check since I'm the only person in the house and if people can't see that I'm trustworthy and honest from day one then I don't want them here anyway.

I offer a wonderful program, field trips with medical info forms always in my possession, and I always tell the parents my plans for the day and our locations with expected times in case of any emergencies on their parts so they will know where to find their children.