Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Shy

Exclamation For your child's safety, please insist on qualifications for providers!

PARENTS - Your Child's Safety - Please Insist On Qualifications For Providers!
    *Child Care Providers, Educators, Child Transporters, Nannies, Facilities*

"It seems that in these days of economic challenge there is an increase in individuals jumping into this field with questionable qualifications or unrealistic claims, putting your Child at serious risk, for a cut rate. Regardless of how positive the Provider's intent may be, you as their Parent must demand high standards where your Child’s safety is concerned."

* What person(s) will be in close contact with your Child (regularly or on occasion)?
    * RCMP criminal background checks?
    * First Aid?
    * Supervision, Transparency, Accountability?
    * Relevant Certifications?
    * Experience?
    * Insurance?
    * Business license?
    * How long in business?
    * References, referrals?
    * Vehicle suitability, safety, certifications, government commercial transport inspections?
    * Back up vehicles? Could your child be stranded somewhere? Vehicle properly equipped?
    * Can the vehicle survive an impact from another vehicle?
    * Driver certification, professional, ICBC manifest, health?
    * Documentation?

Parents ~ Contact at least three sources before settling. Confirm any information or documentation officially and in person. After engaging a provider, check back routinely and drop in, off schedule on occasion. What could be more priceless than your child?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Witt For This Useful Post:

I agree totally as a caregiver to this. I currently have a dcg2 that was abused in her previous home daycare. Mom and dad had not investigated this woman before sending their daughters there. Needless to say, I became this little girls new provider, and mom now tells other parents to research the providers.

It's really sad. I tell my parents to shop around. It's what is best for your child.

Shy

Smile

* First Aid?
    * Vehicle suitability, safety, certifications, government commercial transport inspections?
    * Back up vehicles? Could your child be stranded somewhere? Vehicle properly equipped?

When parents post things like this, it always springs to mind - do they have first aid themselves? (I have mine but I can assure you that if there is much more than a band-aid needing to be placed, I'm calling the parents or an ambulance. I'm not messing around) Relevent certifications? (Did the parent take courses before having children? Book knowledge does not guarantee a good provider) Do you have a vehicle that is in 100% maintenance? Do you have a back up vehicle incase your car breaks down on the way to pick up your kid at daycare? (This could happen to anyone) Can your vehicle survive an impact from another vehicle? (ANY vehicle can be crushed on impact!) Do you make sure you're fully certified before you drive your kid(s) anywhere?

I understand the concerns that parents have when taking their child to daycare with a stranger, I really do. But sometimes, I think the focus is so much on what we see on paper versus how we really feel about the provider personally and trusting our gut about who is best for our kids. I guess what I'm trying to point out is that it always seems parents have no qualms asking for things that they themselves usually don't have or do for their own families and the irony of it makes me smile.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BCParent For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by BCParent View Post
    * First Aid?

When parents post things like this, it always springs to mind - do they have first aid themselves? (I have mine but I can assure you that if there is much more than a band-aid needing to be placed, I'm calling the parents or an ambulance. I'm not messing around) Relevant certifications? (Did the parent take courses before having children? Book knowledge does not guarantee a good provider) Do you have a vehicle that is in 100% maintenance? Do you have a back up vehicle in case your car breaks down on the way to pick up your kid at daycare? (This could happen to anyone) Can your vehicle survive an impact from another vehicle? (ANY vehicle can be crushed on impact!) Do you make sure you're fully certified before you drive your kid(s) anywhere?

I understand the concerns that parents have when taking their child to daycare with a stranger, I really do. But sometimes, I think the focus is so much on what we see on paper versus how we really feel about the provider personally and trusting our gut about who is best for our kids. I guess what I'm trying to point out is that it always seems parents have no qualms asking for things that they themselves usually don't have or do for their own families and the irony of it makes me smile.
    I 100% agree with you on this! While I agree that parents should do their homework when looking for a provider, they also have to have realistic expectations of their provider. Questions like the following...

* First Aid?
    * Business license?
    * Back up vehicles? Could your child be stranded somewhere?
    * Documentation?

... are pretty irrelevant IMO. As the pp stated...do the parents have first aid? I'd say that 50% of them don't but yet they require you to. Vehicles...well, the ones i posted are just irrelevant questions...no vehicle is 100% accident proof and anyone could get stranded. Parents SHOULD ask if they have the proper insurance on their vehicles though to cover the dck. You don't need a business licence to operate a daycare/day home...at least you don't in Alberta. Also, like the pp stated...there is way more to a care giver than pieces of paper and choosing a provider should NEVER be based solely on that. There are tons of cases where "educated(those with certificates)" providers have harmed a child. I have no idea what you mean by "documentation". Exactly what kind of documents are you looking for?

Things like references, foods (unless you are ok with them eating crap, kd, hotdogs, etc. all the time), proper insurance, background checks...both for criminal and child intervention checks, definitely who will be in contact with your child, asking about outside time (you don't want a provider who keeps the kids inside all the time), stimulating activities (unless you're ok with them sitting in front of a t.v. all day), contracts (a provider with a good contract has thought long and hard how she wants her business to be and what she wants to offer the kids and parents, you don't want to go with a provider with no contract. It protects you both.), appropriate toys for the ages of the kids, safe and clean environment, # of children in care...you don't want to stick your child in a child warehouse just because the price is cheap, and last but not least (I'm sure I'll think of more to add) you get what you pay for. If a daycare is offering really cheap rates, they aren't feeding your children "good" foods, they aren't doing crafts and special things with your child and they are most likely warehousing kids...
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fruitloop For This Useful Post:

Of course it is important to check if the provider is capable of doing a good job.
    But documentation like these
    * What person(s) will be in close contact with your Child (regularly or on occasion)?
    * RCMP criminal background checks?
    * First Aid?
    * Supervision, Transparency, Accountability?
    * Experience?
    * Insurance?
    * Business license?
    * How long in business?
    * References, referrals?
    * Documentation?
    are important and is one way parents can refer to see whether you are up to date.
    At the end of the day the day care providers are running a business - a very sensitive business .
    I do not think it is an unreasonable request from parents.
    It is rather funny that providers always reverse it on the parents saying " do you guys have this?".
    Day care providers are running the business and this is their professional portfolio.

Euphoric !
    I think the concerns were valid till the part about the vehicle. The "requirements" do seem a bit excessive and not really something that is available to the average homeowner to my knowledge. A vehicle passes it's inspection and is given regular updating in theory.

As far as reversing on parents. If parents don't think it is important enough for them to have first aid or a vehcile that can pass a commercial inspection for the safety of their children then why should they have the right to suddenly demand that their caregiver does. But then kids do spend more time with us than with there parents in many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    I think the concerns were valid till the part about the vehicle. The "requirements" do seem a bit excessive and not really something that is available to the average homeowner to my knowledge. A vehicle passes it's inspection and is given regular updating in theory.

As far as reversing on parents. If parents don't think it is important enough for them to have first aid or a vehcile that can pass a commercial inspection for the safety of their children then why should they have the right to suddenly demand that their caregiver does. But then kids do spend more time with us than with there parents in many cases.
    Parents do not think it is not important to know first aid or have a good vehicle with proper safety standards.My point is that this is not a tit for tat. Day care providers run a business and as part of your professional needs you should have these things in place. Excessive over reactive concerns from parents side could be addressed.I understand that. Like how you address one rotten apple family that can affect your day care, there are rotten day cares that send out the message to be cautious. If there was a choice no one wants to leave their kids with anyone else.

When you apply for a job they look at your skill set and the overall package. You cannot ask the employer " Do you know to do that?"
    In this forum there is a huge defensive attitude. That is not wrong but I hope as parents and providers we could see and appreciate each others points of view..not play mockery.
    There are very few parents in this forum by the way.

Euphoric !
    Maybe as a parent then you realize that you get what you pay for. If you want your caregiver to offer commercial vehicles expect to pay for the service. If you want rules and regulations and governement control then you need to go to a daycare centre. Most of the providers on this forum are your neighbours, the lady down the street. Yes we have our homes set up differently than you do and we take safety into consideration but we are first and foremost a home and a family and if I feel my vehicle is safe enough for my own family then you have two choices - accept that or go with a caregiver that does not take the children out during daycare hours. Which just for the record I do not. If we go we walk.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Yes Playfelt. I do realize that these are people like you and me. As I said the over cautious and over reactive concerns from parents should be addressed. When you speak to the provider and get to know them most fears go away. It does take some more time to totally trust.
    Again, I think the tone of the providers here has been a bit mockery and thats what I am not agreeing with.
    Most providers want to be treated as professionals and not as the friendly next door neighbour.
    If the parents ask anything, they want to ask the parent something. I think this should be a conversation- a friendly conversation. It seems to me that the way things are addressed - the fault is always with the parent. While we rectify our mistakes and make an effort it would be great if we feel welcome here. It would be good to see day care providers listen to our views and explain instead of just defending themselves.
    If the parent is ignorant, this forum will help them understand the reality.
    From what I read from that parents post, he had been through something pretty bad to even come up with such an excessive list.
    While you recognize that it is excessive there is no need to mock.

Outgoing
    I don't think I was mocking...I offered up what parents should be looking for and what to base their choices on. It IS important for parents to do their homework...but you have to do the right homework. A provider with "papers" isn't better than 1 without neccessarliy. Parents need to look at the over-all picture and trust their gut...and not let price dictate where they take their kids. They shouldn't be looking for a deal when it comes to this.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fruitloop For This Useful Post: