Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...
    We've all got colds here too. :/

apples and bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by jazmic View Post
    I'd be curious to know what people's policies on colds are. So far I haven't refused care for any type of cold and I've had all kinds from the clear discharge to the thick green/yellow kind... does anyone refuse care for colds?
    Mine is basic. If they are well enough to participate then they can attend. I'm not concerned about passing around the common cold as they are mostly contagious before we even know we've got them. But I always let the parents know that we have some runny noses starting. Just so they're aware.

I don't allow fevers, severe diarhea, rashes until seen by a doctor etc.

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    My policy states runny noses as long as it's clear discharge but I have accepted the green/yellow when I see the progression of the cold. If on Monday the child comes with a clear discharge running nose and by Thursday it's changed color and they've added a cough but are still running around full tilt I don't care.

More than one instance of diarhea is not allowed, nor is a fever (unless child is teething and the fever is MILD and not affecting thier ability to play), no vomiting, rashes are not allowed.. pretty basic and standard.

Euphoric !
    Two of my daycare kids are now out with bronchitis and on antibiotics. Expect the one back tomorrow probably but not sure about the other. One is the baby I posted about yesterday. The snots seem to have been continuously coming and going and each time they come back he is worse. That is what prompted mom to visit the doctor in that it was obvious he was fighting something but losing the battle. So hard to see this in a 12 month old.

Euphoric !
    Really, you send them home for runny noese? Do you find parents are okay with this? I don't think I'd have any kids all winter if I did this. I just send them home for fevers, diahrea, vomiting, rashes, etc or if they are just too miserable to participate in daily activities. My kids have all been passing a cold back and forth for the past 3 weeks too...it sucks but I think it is just part of life with small children. They have to build their immune systems. I just stock up on the kleenex.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    This is my first winter doing the daycare but just from personal experience I have never seen a yellow/green discharge last for longer than a day or so without other symptoms coming out. I make the call then. If it's just a cold then whatever, if it's something more serious than I talk to the parents. For just a runny nose though no I wouldn't send home. It's unrealistic to even think of sending a child every time his/her nose was running haha.

momof4........so jealous! I know it's not right to envy others.....but I envy you!!!! have a great vacation. take lots of vitamin c and D. get your rest. (sometimes all it takes is the change of weather on a vacation to catch something) bring back up meds with you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

Regular cold (runny nose, maybe a cough or two through the day) is fine, BUT...excessive coughing/sneezing, heavy drainage, green/yellow drainage, any fever, vomit, diahrea,upset tummy, or lethargic, lack of good appetite, or just plain "down in the dumps" and wanting Mommy...they have to go home, with a check-up call and my "ok" before returning. I HATE SICKNESS! and it spreads fast.

Expansive...
    We JUST got over our first fall cold (went through all of us!)...I give it 2-3 weeks before we're struck again! 'Tis the season!!!

Euphoric !
    No, I don't send children home with colds either unless they have a fever because that's a symptom of a deeper problem, like an infection in the ears, lungs, throat, tonsils, etc. I have a list of the most contagious childhood illnesses listed in my contract and I've been lucky so far to have parents who keep their child home when they can see that they are feeling very unwell.

But I was the parent who worked outside the home all my life until I opened my daycare almost 5 years ago, so I can understand how hard it is for parents to take a sick day. A lot of employers really give you a hard time when you take a sick day. At my last job we were allowed 10 sick days a year but we got a stern warning if we used 3! Why do they tell you that you have 10?