Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weird demands

Shy

Weird demands

Hi, I just had a phone interview with a potential client. She asked what I do with the kids during the day. I told her we go to playgroups, library, have playdates, park dates, etc. She said she didn't want the child around any strangers, as in stranger to the child. It didn't matter if I knew them, if the child didn't already know them it was not ok. How would we ever go out and do our activities? How would the children and me get interaction with others? The other kids in my care love the dc moms we get together with and they even become my back up once the kids know them. Does anyone else find this a weird demand of a parent?

Starting to feel at home... Big Hearts's Avatar
    I would tell her just like you did us. Say it is not possable as you can not keep all the children locked up in your house all day long. The other childrens parents are strangers so thay cant pick up there kids? and if you were at the park and somone walks by then what? Kids need fresh air and sunlight. And yes it is odd!

Not necessarily "weird" but definitely "difficult" for the provider.....if not nearly impossible. This Mother seems a little controlling and perhaps overbearing, in which case....needs to rethink her position in life. Don't mean to be rude, but this bugs me.....parents "choose" to work outside the home, so they "choose" to trust someone else with their child. By trusting that person they "choose", they are forgoing their full authority over the child during the time the child is in the "chosen" persons care. (with respect to the parents basic wishes) Therefore, IF you (the "chosen" person) wants to go about your business as usual i.e. trips to the park, or library or even have an outsider come into the house, this Mother will not be ok with it. TOO HARD for all involved. Just wish these kinds of parents could understand, by "choosing" to put your child in someone elses hands, you are "choosing" to forego the "over bearing" attitude, and difficult requests.

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    Yes this is a weird demand. It screams over protective to me, I wouldn't do an in person interview as I would say right away that her parenting style and my provider style are a mismatch.

apples and bananas
    wow! That is weird. She could have just told you that you're not what she's looking for and move on. Rather then tell you that she doesn't want her child exposed to anyone!

I wonder if she's had a poor experiance with a caregiver going to or inviting their friends over and disregarding the kids because of it. Sounds like she's been treated badly and is now on the protective.

Move on to the next one... that's what I think.

Outgoing
    I can't imagine that she will find a provider willing to meet those demands.

Euphoric !
    I have had that interview too in the past loadsokids. One Mom was so over protective that she didn't want me to take her child out in the stroller to go anywhere. I told her that we travel 3-4 times a week to parks or on the bus to meet friends at other parks and have a wonderful variety of places to go. I thought she was going to faint! Oh well, they are not for me!

Expansive...
    I don't think I've ever met a parent who DIDN'T want me to involve their child in activities. I mean, how are you going to handle when parents come to pick up the other children? Those parents are stangers to that child too....in fact the other dck are strangers are too....how far until this is "too much". Can you go to the bus stop? have a new child enter into your care?

*** you see this is asking HER what you CAN do, that's already a issue, a BIG one ***
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Shy
    That is a strange one. One of my clients asked if I plan to carry pepper spray with me to the park. I told her I don't. Though I haven't started my day home yet (next week, eeek), I'm already realizing the parents will be in for a shock when they realize I'm in control and they aren't. Not sure how that's going to go.