Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Parents trying to pay less than they owe

I am having trouble with a mom who doesn't want to pay my fees. I charge a flat rate of $12 for after school care. She is a part time teacher and only needs two days a week. I have agreed to keep a spot for her kids, even though I could find kids who need five days a week.

However, her kids are starting hockey and on those days she needs to pick them up at 4:15pm instead of 5:00pm. She only wanted to pay $6 on those days, even though I am also supplying an afternoon snack. I have said no, and I have told her what her monthly rate is ($24 a week per child) Yet she gave me a cheque for only $120. I gave it back to her with a paper showing the monthly rate. She did give the cheque back with the right amount. Was she testing me?

BUT then, she asked if her kids could come an extra day last week. I said sure, but my drop in rate is $8/hr per child. She said she only needed one hour. However, instead of picking them up at 4:00pm (I get them at 3:00pm), she picked them up at 4:30pm and only paid me for 1 HOUR! Is this another test????

I would have thought a teacher would have some respect for someone who works in the childcare field.

well, I got the last laugh! She counted out the days in October, even though I have told her that her monthly rate is $192 per month. Because October is a longer month, she ended up paying $24 more than she had to! That takes care of the money she shorted me for her drop in day! Can't wait to see what she tries to pay in November......

She should be paying in advance for her childcare. She has shown such disrespect for you it is appaling! What if her employer made her negociate her wage? ( and she is not your employer) Her being a teacher has nothing to do with her attitude. I would find children you can care for 5 days per week and drop her like a hot potatoe. Do you really need to deal with this and for so little money? Good luck

First off, sorry to hear that she's short-changing you! Don't blame all teachers - I have amazing teacher families, and come from parents who were teachers, and married one! lol

Secondly, I have in my manual, you don't pay on time or proper fees, you're dinged with late fees of $20/day plus the weeks pay.

I do agree with Mimi on the fact that she should pay in advance.
    I had a family with 2 school-aged children that came two days/week every second week (if they even came at all!). They had to pay on the first day of the month (monthly fees) for the month.

Because this woman only has her child in your care 2/days/week, then I would do just that! It's not a lot to fork over....

Question for you: Did you have this woman sign a contract? This will also cover your ass and help you demand the money and RESPECT you deserve. If she can't get rolling with your rules, I would definitely term them, and accept a family who will respect you!

Good luck!

apples and bananas
    Just make sure you are re inforcing proper payment and maybe send a txt or email or verbally remind her what she owes you one day before payments due. Or write her a reciept and give it to her on her 2nd to last day of care. That way there is no guessing. This is what you owe me. If she doesn't like the rates, she can go elsewhere. She needs to understand that you could fill the space with a ft and make 3 times the amount you make with her. She's lucky she has you!

didnt even finish your entire post....sorry but the answer is SO clear, I didn't feel I had to... you NEED to start charging ahead of care, and be VERY CLEAR with this "cheap" Mommy! that she either pays your rates, or GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! that's all there is to it....if she is short changing you?...she doesn't respect you, she's lucky you are still taking her kid! IMO

Good Luck!!

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree with Mimi - if you can replace this one - find another client and dump her cheap arse. =)

LOL @ Mon-Fri LOL

Outgoing
    Do you want to deal with this every month? If you say no then you know what to do. Show her the door, it is not worth for dealing with people like that on top of the stress of taking care of other people's children.

And well done for returning the queue back to her Get rid of her I say.

Expansive...
    I agree with others in that she needs to begin paying in advance of care. This is protocal for most daycares (both public and private), and protects the caregiver from people like this!

Yup I am going to jump on the payment in advance of care .... there is a reason why this is common practice not just in private home childcare programs but licensed regulated care was well it is just EASIER to get paid in advance than having to chase clients for money for services already rendered and sadly some of society have so little value for what we do or the role we play in their child's life that they will hop around from provider to provider STIFFING them if they can get away with it
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi