Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hmmm ~ legally we are required to provide a tax receipt according to CRA but it does not indicate it has to be done weekly, bi weekly or monthly ~ I only give receipts annually unless they are paying by cash and than they get a temporary receipt that says right on it 'temporary receipt ~ not to be used for tax purposes'

IMO you are not saying you are not 'willing' to provide it just that you cannot issue a final year end receipt until their balance is paid up ~ to me that seems like a FAIR demand because otherwise the receipt would not be 'accurate'.

I am not sure if it is 'legal' practice cause I have never had this issue in home childcare so not had the need to properly research it first hand ~ however I do know that several of the centres I worked at over the years had a similar policy in place ~ end of year tax receipts could only be issued for accounts in 'good standing' .... however the reality being for most clients if their account was not in good standing they had already 'bolted' from the program never to be seen again so were not around to 'collect' the receipt anyway
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I don't think you can legally withhold a reciept for money already paid. Also, they can still claim childcare without the reciepts, especially if they have their cheques returned to them by the bank. I think small claims court is your only option. It takes time, but it sounds like you would have no problem winning. Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    IMO you are not saying you are not 'willing' to provide it just that you cannot issue a final year end receipt until their balance is paid up ~ to me that seems like a FAIR demand because otherwise the receipt would not be 'accurate'.
    I would go this route.

Another tip I learned from centre care practices is that while you legally have to issue it ~ there is no rule on you having to track down a person to make sure they GET IT .... my policy is that all my tax receipts are issued in end of January / early February after the tax year has been completed ~ but in the interest of ensuring they get to the right person they cannot or will not be mailed ~ they have to be picked up in person and SIGNED for acceptance in duplicate a copy for their records and a copy for mine .... so if a client has left on bad terms or not paid up the chances of them wanting to suck up having to show their face in the program again is SLIM so you can do up the receipt for them and stick it in their file so you met your legal obligation ~ receipt is there should anyone question it ~ if they do not show up to claim it that is their problem

Either way you obviously still have to claim the 'income' as on the receipt aka what they actually PAID ~ if they do try to claim it without a receipt your ass is covered

Having them sign in duplicate also prevents 'fraud' of a client trying to claim they paid MORE by altering the receipt after they've left your premise cause you have a copy with their signature with the TRUE amount on it ... my receipts are 'watermarked' as well to reduce the ability to duplicate them ... worked in centre care too long seeing sneaky people trying to screw the system!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Shy

Re:

Although I have never had to deal with this particular issue, so far anyway, I do make sure to tell all of my client families that I will use a local collection agency to recoup unpaid fees upon such an event. By using a collection agency, you will not get the whole amount owed, because they have thier fee (this agency that I spoke with it's 30%) but some is better than none AND it sends the message that you are serious.

HTH,

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)