Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Vent: get out of my house!

Oh my lord, is it Friday yet? What a day. I do not understand why some parents want to linger and chat. I have this mom who comes to pick her kids up at 5:00, hasn't seen them all day...does she not want to go home?? 90% of the time when she comes to the door she's on her cell phone too and can hardly say hi to her kids. And then she'll come and sit in my living room and chat with me! Get your kids and get out of my house! I don't want to hear about your day at work or your personal issues, that is not part of my job! Aaaaaaaaah!

Oooooh the cell phone thing grates me too! I have one little baby that doesn't see her Mom for 6 day stretches (her Mom works & lives away)... every single pick up time (her Mom picks her up once every two weeks on arrival back into town) this woman is either chatting or texting on her cell phone...the child doesn't even really react now when she sees her. Really sad. Geez finish your cell phone call and then come in...to be honest, she is speaking a language I don't understand so these calls could be urgent or something, I have no idea...but irregardless no phone call in my opinion is that urgent....your children should be your number one priority!!!!!!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Admit this is why I like to plan my end of day to be "outside" cause if you are the last client I just politely thank em for a great day and excuse myself and let them gather their kid and leave - I have a few chatters to and I do not minds if I am still working but if you are the LAST client yup I am off clock now so see ya later
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

I have a Mom who arrives right at closing and sits on my hallway floor and quizs her child on his day. When he responds she looks to me to see if I have my "oh how cute" face on with his every response. She then asks him what they should do this evening and the have an intense discussion about what outer wear he should wear home. After several minutes I move into the kitchen clanging pots and pans together, but nothing deters her. She also speaks very slowly to her child like hes stupid and he's 3!!! I should speak up but she is very very sensitive. If a coworker looks at her the wrong way she comes to me crying (literally) about it. Sigh

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi View Post
    I have a Mom who arrives right at closing and sits on my hallway floor and quizs her child on his day. When he responds she looks to me to see if I have my "oh how cute" face on with his every response. She then asks him what they should do this evening and the have an intense discussion about what outer wear he should wear home. After several minutes I move into the kitchen clanging pots and pans together, but nothing deters her. She also speaks very slowly to her child like hes stupid and he's 3!!! I should speak up but she is very very sensitive. If a coworker looks at her the wrong way she comes to me crying (literally) about it. Sigh
    Yes! She does this too! Sits there and talks to her kids about how their day was. Why don't you take the kids home and ask them? Or ask them on the ride home? Gah. Driving me nuts.

Outgoing
    Oh wow the cell phone thing .. so sad for the child. I've not experienced this. But for sure the parents that stays in the doorway to chat ... yup bugs me too. But after reading posts on here, I put gates so no one can get passed my doorway at least but my back yard is not closed off so I take the child and get him ready on the balcony stairs when I see the parents pull up cause some will just walk in my backyard and watch their child play then I feel obligated to chat with them.

Outgoing
    I don't allow parents past my entrance way at pick up for that exact reason. I want, for the most part, them to pick up their kids and get out.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
    I don't allow parents past my entrance way at pick up for that exact reason. I want, for the most part, them to pick up their kids and get out.
    Yup, same as fruitloop.

And I have parent guidelines in my manual exactly for this reason! I have a life to lead after taking care of your kids all day.

Again, you have to have a backbone in this business. You're letting them hang around your front door. Or you're letting them come into your home.

I live in a condo where everything is wide open, so I really son't have a hallway or anything that parents have to go down. However...I make it a point to park my wheelchair right in the walking path so they'd have to get into my personal space to walk by.

Shy
    I have this problem with a friend of mine. I've been watching her girl for 3 years now and when she picks up, if she's left before the half hour mark it's a good day. I've been dressed in my coat, I've waited outside, I've told her I have some where to be and i'm late. Nothing stops her. I know all about her co-workers and their personal lives and her life. I don't mind listening some days. But the days where I need to leave right away it takes everything to get her out of here. I love her and her girl so much but some days I just want to scream and say get out!