Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control

View Poll Results: Do You Hide From Photos?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, All The Time!

6 54.55%
  • Neutral, If I Happen To Be In The Picture Fine. If Not, That Is Fine Too.

5 45.45%
  • No, I Jump Right In!

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

A GREAT Article!

I highly recommend this article to all mom's:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alliso...b_1926073.html

It really hit a soft spot with me. I am at the top of the list of mom's who hide from pictures. From this moment on I will no longer hide from them.

Outgoing
    Thanks for the article Littlefeet. I think the author hit the nail on the head for a lot of moms.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bookworm For This Useful Post:

Yes ~ I am so guilty of hiding from photos!

Love the message in this though because as I get older having photos and memories of my childhood is more and more important to me!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Reggio, that is a good point. I have been hiding from pictures even in my childhood. I really regret hiding! This article sure is an eye opener!
    "If we all could see the world through the eyes of a child, we would see the magic in everything!" - Chee Vai Tang

Outgoing
    WOW thanks for sharing ! Just last night we were taking pictures of my daugthers first day at figure skating. Whitout me noticing my husband took a picutre of me looking at my daugther. Last night all I saw was a doubled chin, frumpy and tired looking person ...Now today I see and excited proud momma ! Will totally be posting it on facebook !!!! LOL

Recently I was looking through our photo album. Looking at myself 10 years ago I remember thinking then I wasn't happy with how I looked. Now, looking at the photos I see my younger self in a different light and I realize I was attractive. Of course I continue this way of thinking picking apart my appearance, but now I realize that 10 years from now I will hopefully think the same thing so why not change how I think about myself today. It's difficult because the habit is there to critically judge my appearance so if I see a negative I will now look for a positive. ie my eyes are puffy this morning, but boy does my hair shine.

Euphoric !
    Very nice article. I've not thought much about hiding from the camera, though I guess I do at times....usually when the kids start snapping shots of me fresh out of bed or after working out. Thanks guys For the most part, while I was married, I felt totally dowdy and uncomfortable with my appearance. I'd just had babies, was in a miserable marriage and really couldn't have given a crap what I looked like. Now that hubby's out of the picture, total turn around! I'm no knock out, but I can hold my own and I like the way I look now. I don't know why a divorce brought it out of me, but that was my magic key. As we lose ourselves in our marriages, children and busy lives, being nurturers, we can completely lose focus on ourselves and how awesome each one of us is. Every woman needs to learn to be a little selfish and claim back some of the time we used to use to do things that made us feel good as women - not as a wife and mother. Take some time for yourselves to acknowledge that you're pretty freakin' fantastic and revel in it!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

cfred: I was quite over weight several years back when I was in a bad relationship. As I got out of it I started taking better care of myself and lost 78lbs!! So I totally understand where you are coming from. Now I am married, in a great relationship and the same weight as I was before I lost the 78lbs lol. I guess that's what happens when you have a baby. You gain weight from the pregnancy and then have to work your butt off to lose the weight again!! (unless you are one of the lucky ones who just days after giving birth look like they never even went through pregnancy!! lol)
    "If we all could see the world through the eyes of a child, we would see the magic in everything!" - Chee Vai Tang

Euphoric !
    Lol....I never went back to my prebaby body....sadly. Like you though, I lost about 35 lbs during my divorce. I have to say, though I'm still single now and preferring it that way, a very sweet moment for me - I was on my way out for a date and had to drop my kids of at our 'neutral location'. My exhusband actually did a double take when he saw me. That made me feel great! I felt terrible about myself for years and refuse to for one second now. I have a friend who went camping with me in Puerto Rico last winter. She took a picture of me when I fell asleep on the beach. I was wearing my 21 yr old daughter's string bikini and was more than a little uncomfortable with it, feeling too plump to do so. She enlarged the photo and framed as a gift it stating that that body needed to be shown off. I thought it was the sweetest thing anyone ever did for me out of the blue. And I was shocked to see that I actually looked pretty good! What a nice gift!

I guess the moral of that story is - We are always hardest on ourselves and have to work hard to be as attractive to ourselves as we are to those around us

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Awesome job on losing 78 lbs by the way....I'm soooo impressed!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post: