Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Should I be concern about this email?

Hello everyone,

I'm planing on going away for a month and in my contract I have stated that I will give a months notice. I have informed my clients and 2 of them were OK. with it. Today, I informed my third client and she emailed me back saying a month is a short notice and whether they have to pay me 2 or 4 weeks( I will be going away for 4 weeks).

Now, here is the problem, I can't give them exact date yet as I'm waiting to hear from my mum as she will need knee operation and she doesn't know when they will operate her yet. Hence I can't give dates to my clients. I though if I let them know in advance then they will know that I'm planning to go away so that they can make necessary arrangements. And once I give them the dates hopefully, they will already made the arrangements. My intention was to give them as much time as possible.

Now this family, send me an email back and to be honest, I found a bit harsh. I was hoping that she would appreciate the extra time. The thing is, it is in my contract both parties have to give a months notice which I'm already giving.

Another thing is, what happens if the family doesn't give a month notice before they go on holiday? How do you deal with it?

Thanks in advance.
    Cocoon

Outgoing
    Another thing is, should I be concern? Do you think this is a red flag? They just started full time but was coming part time since last month. To be honest, the family seems to be fine. I have few concerns about them but they are not important.

Starting to feel at home...
    I probable wouldn't worry about it too much. They are probably just stressed because they have been with you a short period of time and already they need to find alternate care for 4 weeks. If you haven't had any other problems with them I would just let it play itself out. Although I don't know how harsh the e-mail really was.
    "If we all could see the world through the eyes of a child, we would see the magic in everything!" - Chee Vai Tang

Honestly? If I had only had my child in care some where a month and suddenly they told me they would be away for a month I probably wouldn't be impressed either having to scramble to find care for kids in yet another place they will have to adjust to when they've just went thought it with you. Not to offend, but just being honest. But, nothing you can do, your family has to come first. If you lose this client over this, then not meant to be.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Honestly that would not make me to happy, but perhaps you can sit down in person, and explain as much as you feel comfortable explaining, and let them know that you just want to be there for your family.

Euphoric !
    If you have a friend with spaces that you could suggest to them that might help them. Taking a week here and there is one thing but most people can not just take a month off work either and for each parent to take 2 weeks leaves them with no family vacation time so I can see that they are upset. Nothing much you can do about it. Do be prepared for some of your clients to find another daycare that can take the child for the month and then when you return have them decide not to come back at which point there won't be much you can do either.

Outgoing
    Thank you ladies. I understand. I don't think any of my clients will leave me over this but even if they do I really can't do anything about it. When we first met with this family in fact, with all my clients I told them that I haven't been on holiday and at this point I don't know when I will and I didn't tell them I will be gone for a month. And honestly, I didn't think I will go for a month. Max. 3 weeks and that would be max! I found out about my mums operation 4-5 days ago and I can't give my clients a date cause mom doesn't know when she will be operated yet.

I didn't think it would be a problem as if they are OK. with 3 weeks another week wouldn't make much difference. And I know this particular client has family(grandpa, grandma) living close by and withing a month of starting they have already looked after the child twice. Anyway, I will talk to them tomorrow morning and remind them about my contract as she thinks a month notice is too short. Plus if they want to leave then we can talk about it.

Thanks again ladies.

Euphoric !
    Not sure if you told the families why you were taking the time off. If not then that will help probably in the sense that it isn't like you are booking a cruise somewhere. You are going to help your mother with a medical emergency and when is based on the hospital. It lets them know that this is not the norm and not likely to happen again for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Not sure if you told the families why you were taking the time off. If not then that will help probably in the sense that it isn't like you are booking a cruise somewhere. You are going to help your mother with a medical emergency and when is based on the hospital. It lets them know that this is not the norm and not likely to happen again for a long time.
    Agreed, very good point
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Outgoing
    I told her this morning after she said she was sorry as she panicked. I explained why I can't give them a date yet cause ....but when I find out I will surely let all my clients know. So all good. thank you for your replies ladies.