Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Opening soon and excited! :)

I officially open in three weeks! Basement is almost finished and then I get to move everything in there. Whew! Any advice for the first few days??

Keep calm - have plenty of chocolate on hand!

But seriously, try to keep to your routine that you have (hopefully) planned out. You have to teach the children who's boss on day 1, and keep to your guns! Same with the parents - have a backbone, it's your business, and they should treat you with respect! It's going to be hard for the first week or so, but you can do it!

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Don't judge your future in the business by the first week/month. It takes time to get a routine down. Spend the first couple weeks letting the children play so you can assess their skills and how they interact. Keep paper and pencil handy and write down times and routines that work or don't work. Once you have your day figured out like when the baby needs morning nap or at what time a child usually poops, or what time you need to have lunch on the table before someone is yawning and too tired to eat. When you have the routine your life will settle down and you can put your energies into the programming. Do not feel that you have to jump into everything the first week. Take time to enjoy the week too. You must be so excited to finally see it all come together. Have fun.

Expansive...
    totally agree with playfelt.

and congratulations!

Congratulations--Stay focused, have fun and enjoy the time. Do keep track of what works for you and the children. As Play and Learn stated stick to your contract and don't be swayed as many of us have in the beginning. I try not to become friends with my parents,as I have had bad experiences with this before. When I first opened 15 years ago, I wrote a schedule for the day with weekly themes. It never works exactly as written down, but it keeps you on track.
    Good Luck!!

My first daycare child starts tomorrow (14 months). Can't wait!! I posted the weeks menu on the parent board and I'm typing a welcome letter. Thanks for all the advice!