Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Talking Dayhome and pregnancy

Hi ladies!

I just found out that I am pregnant! has anyone had experience with caring for children and pregnancy? how did that work out for you. When did you tell the parents, did you close your dayhome for X amount of time before and after having the baby?

and how about doctors appointment, would you try to take them after DK hours?

Let me knw!

No I haven't had the experience but I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS and all the best to you.

Expansive...
    Congrats!!! I had my second baby 4 months ago! I told my clients just after 3 months. The most important thing is for you to have your plan all set before you tell them!!!! Outline how you will handle appointments, when you will close and for how long etc. You may have to prepare yourself to lose clients. All of my kids stayed on until the bitter end....which I really enjoyed as it made the time pass quickly! I had a small group and my Mom was able to cover me for all my appointments which my clients loved! We actually took the opportunity to move at the same time so I closed the daycare and will just be starting over in our new neighborhood. Make sure to take care of yourself as time goes on....you will get tired and it's not the end of the world if the kids get more free play time! Good luck with everything!!

Congratulations to you!
    I got pregnant with my second child 1 year after starting my home daycare. I told the parents after three months because I wanted to be sure all was well and that i had a concrete plan to present.... I could not have waited later as i was starting to show!
    My pregnancy went well enough but it is for sure harder because of fatigue and emotions; but with a great group of kids, supporting parents and a supportive family it went well. My mom was able to cover for me for almost all my appointments so this luckily did not impact the daycare.
    I closed for two weeks, taking my summer vacation, after birth and then hubby took parental leave for 9 months. Turns out I would've been fine to be on my own afte 3-4 months but he had the benefit so might as well use it!
    All in all it was an amazing experience. My daughter is part of all my d/c parents' lives in such a special way as they were so present through the pregnancy and so shortly after the birth.
    I had started a thread on similar thoughts and concerns which is under manading a daycare and titled "Providing care through pregnancy and after delivery"... you might want to check it out!

Expansive...
    I'm pregnant now! My husband covers for all my doctors appointments except for ones he wants to come to (ultrasounds) and then I give them plenty of notice and close for the day. I am working up until 1 week before my due date and taking 10 weeks off total.
    When I first found out I was pregnant, I waited until 12 weeks to tell them. I have WONDERFUL families and all have been up front with me that they do not intend to find alternative care when I take my 10 week leave. I'm still prepared to lose a client or 2, such is life but I don't think I will. All have already made arrangements with grandparents for that time...so we'll see what happens! Another plus is that hubby will take 4 months off with me so will be a huge help to me, especially when the kids start back.
    Feel free to ask me questions as the arise! Congrats!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!

I have never had to deal with this myself but peers I know rather than taking a maternity leave and risking loosing clientele to other working arrangements chose to hirer a relief staff to come in and cover the maternity leave for 2,4,6 or however many months you can afford ~ it allowed her to continue to have 'some' little bit of income left after paying the persons wages as well as the tax break on their household income tax cause she still got to claim all the 'expenses write offs' of the business including the employee all while keeping her clients in a consistent care option so when she returned she was still full and raring to go ... win win for many of them although you do not get a 'quiet' maternity leave cause well the daycare is still running in the house
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Expansive...
    I'm not pregnant *yet* but this is so helpfull as I'll be in the same boat in a few months!

Congratulations and wishing you a Happy & Healthy pregnancy!!
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Congrats! I just had my baby two weeks ago so I know all about balancing a day home and pregnancy. I had to close my day home at noon one day and another day I had to close for the full day because of appointments. Other than that I was able to see my OB-Gyn outside of my operating hours. Hopefully that will be an option for you because there are so many appointments especially towards the end of your pregnancy and I completely understand what an inconvenience it is to families when we need to close. That being said if you DO need to close in order to see a Doctor do it-- your health and baby's health are the most important thing right now. I found my pregnancy did not impact my ability to run my day home at all. However, the last 2 months I was very tired and getting big and uncomfortable which definitely made me more exhausted looking after the kids. My DH was a huge help to me during this time. He helped prep my next days meals and snacks, sanitize the toys, clean the day home washroom, etc... Hopefully your DH can help you out some!
    I told my families at 12 weeks (which is when I told everyone). They all took it very well. I only lost one family due to the pregnancy.
    My day home is currently closed and I closed for seven weeks. Are you in Canada? If so, you can pay into EI and be eligible for one year paid maternity leave. I chose not to close for a long period of time because its so hard to start a day home from the ground up and get all new families. Good luck with everything and congrats again!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bugaboo For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Congratulations!!! I told parents when I was 12 weeks pregnant with my daughter-I was starting to show around 9 weeks! Be prepared families-especially new ones may leave. As far as appointments I always asked for the last appointment of the day and gave lots of notice to families if they had to pick up early.

I had my daughter on march break which I close for anyway-I also closed for an additional 2 weeks. My husband was home on parental leave for a while as well-it was great having him home!

I will take a proper maternity leave next time around though

No advice but: CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! So exciting!!!!!!!!!!! Best of wishes during this magical time!!
    "If we all could see the world through the eyes of a child, we would see the magic in everything!" - Chee Vai Tang