Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Awkward decision...what would you do?

Have any of you ever taken a deposit and signed contract for a space and then had interest from someone else whose child prehaps fits in better agewise...and then had to make an awkward decision? I feel like as I have the conract signed and have taken the deposit and told a family the space is theirs, I have an obligation to follow through (their child doesn't start full-time until January). I really like family #1 and the child, but I now have two families with children close to my daughter's age (2 1/2-3) interested and I am having second thoughts because I really feel like she could use a friend close to her age (she has a 2 year old boy, but if I could get a little girl for her to play with, I think it would be great for her as the 2 1/2 year old girl I currently have part-time is leaving very soon and they play so well together). But would it be unethical of me to change my mind at this point? Any of you ever done this? Help please! I feel so bad even thinking of it!

Do you not have room for both? I don't think there is anything wrong with changing your mind or having something else "come up". If these people are not starting until Jan. they do have time to find someone else, I wouldn't worry so much, just offer the deposit back and let them know you are sorry but you no longer have room for their child, let them know you will spread the word for them and give them a call if you hear of any providers in the area with openings. I always have to remind myself at the end of the day that "this is MY business" and I have to run it the best for ME, not my clients. Hard Pill to swallow for someone like me, but in the long run you don't want to regret not making the right choice, if you don't go with you r gut!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Ya I think you should stick with the one you signed and took a deposit from .... I would be afraid of bad karma ..... I'm assuming you don't have a second spot to offer the other family?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    That is awkward. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'd be inclined to stay with the family who's already signed. I guess my feeling is that it's a contract, you've both committed to each other and money has changed hands. Maybe others feel differently.

Euphoric !
    No...I had four spaces due to relocating to a new neighbourhood and I filled them all in 2 weeks! And I have two interviews lined up now for space I don't really have. Two of the kids have not yet started, so I also figure there is a chance one may not work out during the first few weeks, so it's good to have other families to call if I end up having space. I wouldn't bail on the family that is set to start next week as that would be really bad...but maybe the one for January..sigh...I do really like them too though! I still have to interview both families with the 2 1/2 - 3 year olds, so I will see what I think of them, but just wanted to see if others think it would be terrible to make a switch like this! Thanks Kidlove for your response...I feel a bit better already

I can empathize with your plight and the temptation ... IMO you have to do what you feel is right for you and your business so that at the end of the day you are happy and thriving.

As for what I would do ~ personally I am all about karma and rely greatly on word of mouth advertizing as the cheapest and best form of keeping my business thriving .... so in this case I would suck up that I have made a commitment to this client whose signed a contract and paid a deposit and has done nothing 'wrong' in regards to their end of the deal aside from having a child who is younger than ideally desired.

I would do this because of karma ~ I would very upset if the shoe were on the other foot and a client had signed on with me, committed to me and than decided 'oh something betters come along and we want out of our contract now' so I would not want to put that energy out there to come back to me by treating someone else in the same manner!

I also would not want word of mouth traveling to my community to becareful of signing on with me because I terminate clients willy nilly if something better comes along ... I personally only terminate a contract if A) the client is not following it so I have legal grounds or B) the client or clients child poses a physical risk to myself / the children.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I know...this is why I feel bad even contemplating it. Although I do have a trial period of 4 weeks during which I can terminate or they can leave without notice...but I have never let someone go before they even started! Sigh...hate these decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    That is awkward. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'd be inclined to stay with the family who's already signed. I guess my feeling is that it's a contract, you've both committed to each other and money has changed hands. Maybe others feel differently.

Euphoric !
    I believe in karma too...I wish I could take everyone! One other thing is that the one set to start in January had a reaction to eggs and has to be retested to see if she is allergic...I don't take food allergy kids so I am left with not really knowing until whenever she gets tested. I probably should have not signed her on because of that...argg...

When I am interviewing for a 'SINGLE/LAST' space I personally I do not 'commit' to anyone until I am done interviewing all my prospects ~ I tell each of them during the process that I am interviewing until X date and than will be making my final decision on based on the best match for the program ~ if I am their 'first choice' please let me know so I can keep that in mind during the process! If for some reason a client comes along whom I know is PERFECT and I want to sign them on even though I have other interviews lined up than I offer them the spot and if they accept, sign the contract and pay the deposit than I call and 'cancel' the other interviews rather than waste their time and mine interviewing for a space that no longer exists anyway and this ensures I avoid putting myself in the place of second guessing my choice if one of them seems even 'more perfect' in hindsight.

Personally if you no longer have a spot for the interviews you have booked I would call and let them know that so they can decide if they want to come tour still ~ I would not have them come assuming that they have a chance of coming to your program if they do not cause well IMO that's bad karma
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    They both know that I am full...they are coming to interview anyway in case something opens up...I have told them that if something becomes available then I would be in a position to offer them a space right away if I feel they are a good fit. I had another one come a week ago. I am not even advertising actively anymore...filled all the space a few weeks back, but I am still getting contacted and that is what is leading me to second guess. I really didn't know the demand would be so high!

Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    When I am interviewing for a 'SINGLE/LAST' space I personally I do not 'commit' to anyone until I am done interviewing all my prospects ~ I tell each of them during the process that I am interviewing until X date and than will be making my final decision on based on the best match for the program ~ if I am their 'first choice' please let me know so I can keep that in mind during the process! If for some reason a client comes along whom I know is PERFECT and I want to sign them on even though I have other interviews lined up than I offer them the spot and if they accept, sign the contract and pay the deposit than I call and 'cancel' the other interviews rather than waste their time and mine interviewing for a space that no longer exists anyway and this ensures I avoid putting myself in the place of second guessing my choice if one of them seems even 'more perfect' in hindsight.

Personally if you no longer have a spot for the interviews you have booked I would call and let them know that so they can decide if they want to come tour still ~ I would not have them come assuming that they have a chance of coming to your program if they do not cause well IMO that's bad karma

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post: