Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

What else should I get for toys, etc?

I haven't been operating too long, but I've saved up a bit of money to get some additional things for my home daycare. Just not sure what to get!

I have playpens, sleep cots, booster chairs, strollers, etc. More looking for stuff for the playroom.

This is what I have right now:
    -kids table and chair set
    -plush kids chair
    -books
    -puzzles
    -arts/crafts supplies
    -board games, cards
    -musical instruments
    -vehicles
    -play house, farm and firestation
    -bead maze
    -little people
    -dolls
    -blocks, lego
    -puppets, stuffed animals
    -tools
    -animals
    -dinosaurs
    -dress up clothes/accessories

I would love some suggestions, if you see something missing from the list that I could get! What do you have in your playroom that the kids get a lot of use out of? Is there anything you would recommend NOT getting?

Thanks!

how about balls or sand toys for the park

Expansive...
    Hi! Not sure how much space you have but my school bus slide, playhouse and kitchen got used all day!! Playhouses are big and expensive but a kitchen set is fairly small and encourages so much imaginative play! I got my kitchen for $20 on Kijiji and it looked new so you don't have to spend a lot! I have a tent that I filled with balls, cheap and younger kids love it! Sounds like you have most of the basics already. I wouldn't invest too much more in toys, maybe look for things that encourage imagination or movement instead of a toy that only has one use....does that make sense? I just got a big chalkboard for the wall which I can't wait to get set up!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwiper View Post
    Hi! Not sure how much space you have but my school bus slide, playhouse and kitchen got used all day!! Playhouses are big and expensive but a kitchen set is fairly small and encourages so much imaginative play! I got my kitchen for $20 on Kijiji and it looked new so you don't have to spend a lot! I have a tent that I filled with balls, cheap and younger kids love it! Sounds like you have most of the basics already. I wouldn't invest too much more in toys, maybe look for things that encourage imagination or movement instead of a toy that only has one use....does that make sense? I just got a big chalkboard for the wall which I can't wait to get set up!
    I have been looking at play kitchens on kijiji! I just didn't know if it would get much use. The ball tent is a great idea too! And yes, I totally get what you mean about imagination. The chalkboard sounds great as well--wouldn't work in my house tho I'd be sneezing all day! I'm thinking of getting a couple of big bulletin boards to hang up the kids' artwork and such.

apples and bananas
    MY Play kitchen gets a ton of use! I actually put it in my kitchen and now the kids pretend to cook while I'm cooking. It keeps them close to me, but out of my hair too.

I also have a grocery store/lemonade stand from "melissa and doug" It's fantastic! Kids love to play with it selling and buying and cooking etc. So cute!

Lots of things like this that inspire imagionation and making up their own stories are fantastic. I love to see what they come up with.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    A kitchen set gets a lot of play even from the really little ones that aren't really pretending but just putting stuff in and out of the various parts.

You could also consider putting the money into teaching resources that you might use with the kids such as bulletin board kits and borders to decorate the walls or seasonal decorations. I of course am partial to using the feltboard - as you might guess from my name so that would be fun - mine is just a large board covered in felt. I also love love love my pocket chart and have a full size one as well as a smaller one I use in lessons when not using the feltboard cause then I can just put the figures in the pockets - great for counting and matching games.

What about putting the money towards colored cardstock for making games for the kids as in the money goes towards the craft supplies but then the result is games and teaching resources for the kids.

Another option is to just wait a bit and watch the children play and then see about adding to what you already have. Sometimes it isn't something new we need to add but more of what we have - more blocks or more puzzles or another puppet.

Halloween is a good time to pick up fun stuff for playing dress up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I just picked up 2 new items from a garage sale and the kids have loved them this week! A train set and a whole box of hotwheels....both age groups of kids really seem to like playing with them, especially the train set....they spent hours taking apart and rebuilding the track

11. The Following User Says Thank You to monkeymama For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the suggestions!

I love the idea of a felt board, I'm going to think about that.

I'd really like to get a set of big blocks, you know the brick ones that aren't too heavy, but the kids can build big stuff with them? They're rather expensive new, but I haven't seen any used ones for sale.

Euphoric !
    Favourites here are definitely the kitchenette with a shopping cart full of dishes and plastic food and my Fisher Price parking garage with lots of little vehicles. They are in use every day. Your list looks like a great start and best of luck to you!

Euphoric !
    For the big blocks consider making some by joining 2 two litre cartons or covering boxes you have. They will play with them uncovered too so just stuff empty cereal or cracker boxes with newspaper to make them less crushable. The thicker diaper wipes boxes are also great. Problem is storage of course. I know the blocks you are talking about and they do last a long time. Presume people have them and use them till they disintigrate and then recycle them vice sell them. You might try putting a wanted ad up for them and someone who is debating what to do with them might be inclined to sell them to you.