Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Sand/water table?

Does anyone have a sand/water table INSIDE? What do you put in it? I'm envisioning a giant mess...but it might be fun.

I have been considering the same thing for a year now....a sensory table inside...just not brave enough.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

I use Rubbermaid bins for sensory inside ~ I have two sizes the 'under the bed giftwrap' size that two to four can fit around either on the floor or standing at the child size table depending on how well they play together as well as I use the 'shoebox' size for individual bins for things like goop and so forth because it helps to contain that kind of mess when you are playing 'alone' in it verses as a group where sensory can get silly

Inside I tend to stick to water play and save the sand for the PARK to be honest cause I do not want it in my house ruining finish on my floors and I do not want it in my yard killing my grass cause sand is insidious and even when they 'try' to keep it in a bin it migrates At the park I can shake them off and have them empty their shoes when it is time to go and therefore do my best to leave it there and whatever is missed tends to 'fall off' during the walk home!

For 'dry' sensory options instead of sand in the house I use things like pom poms, paper clips and pipe cleaners, acorns & pine cones & sticks and so forth ~ stuff easy to pick up and put back in should it find its way out of the bin Outside I use raw noodles or colored rice or in the spring potting soil and the bins stay on the deck so that it can be swept up and if it falls between the deck cracks no big deal.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I too have sensory bins with lids and I have one with rice and one with lentils and they each have a scoop and a funnel And a couple of cars and I have one with colored pasta and one with two hand held magnets and all kinds of different metal objects .

Expansive...
    I would avoid sand inside-- that just sounds like a nightmare- but beans, rice, or oats would be great!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    I would avoid sand inside-- that just sounds like a nightmare- but beans, rice, or oats would be great!
    DITTO!!! I made green cooked linguini one Hallowe'en and stirred in some oil then added eyeballs, witches fingers and other items so the children could find the scary treasures in a big bin. I made slime one time too with corn starch and water and food colouring in a bin, but those are the two messiest things I've done.

These are two things we'll be doing again in a couple of weeks because I've had a complete turnover in the daycare since I did this with my old group.