Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Providing Care for Friends Kids?

Anyone else do this? I have some questions if anyone else is in this boat!

Outgoing
    I personally would never do this as I would not want a potential problem to arise about me watching their child that could ruin our friendship. I do not mix business with family/friends.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsplante View Post
    Anyone else do this? I have some questions if anyone else is in this boat!
    Feel free to PM me! I'll answer any questions you may have. I've done it, and it's worked for me.

Starting to feel at home...
    I did it and would not do it again wrecked one of the best friendships I ever had . I had to terminate her child due to her not settling into the daycare very well (6+weeks) it was just aweful hurt feelings all around Since February we have hung out 2x when it used to be 2x + per week .

Each relationship is different and you have to access wether your friend will respect your business and that she see's you as the professional you are. If you decide to do this you must be very clear about your policies and the implications of not following them. I would do an interview with her as you would do any other client and be all business. I would also let her know that there will be no preferencial treatment as if she had a business you would not expect it or any discounts because this is your livelihood. If your friend hesitates in answering or disagrees with your policies then I would see that as an indication of problems ahead. IMO I wouldn't do it but you know your friend and I don't. Good luck.

Never. Again.

Yes it has worked for some providers. Most providers have horror stories of wrecked friendships, hurt feelings, feeling used, etc. I did this for a friend I've known for 25+ years and it did damage our relationship to an extent.

Don't do it. That's my advice.

Shy
    Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't say that we are best friends, but she is definitely a friend. I've taken on her son and he's a really big handful...to be honest I think the way she wants care for him, she'll need a nanny to provide that, but she says she can't afford it. It's only my 3rd day with him, so I'm giving him some time to adjust.

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    I've done it on an occasional basis but would never do it as a regular thing. Too much potentional for problems.

Everyone's experience is going to be different for sure ... I have had it work in the past when I was in centre care and it worked great and yet did it with my SIL in my home childcare and it was a horrible experience that has jaded me now from risking ever doing it again!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Expansive...
    I would definitely hesitate (or go about it differently) if I was ever to do it again. My EX-friends, decided they didn't have to pay me the $200 they owed me for over the summer and we have completely ceased contact. They weren't great friends to begin with, but friends nonetheless.