Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Temper tantrums

Hybrid View

Administrator Starting to feel at home... admin's Avatar

Temper tantrums

Hi,

Temper tantrums can be hard to deal with. How to you personally handle them? Do you have tips & tricks you would like to share?

Shy
    Lay down beside the child and kick and scream with them; they will see how silly you look and start to laugh. When you can't beat them......join them! LOL!!!

Okay joking aside it really depends on the age of the child and the reason behind the tantrums but the best advice I can think of if you don't like my plan A would be consistancy. You have to follow through with what you say to your child. Be strong and know in your heart you are doing this for your child's best interest. Even if they cry!
    Love: Mrs. Laurie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs. Laurie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Laurie View Post
    Lay down beside the child and kick and scream with them; they will see how silly you look and start to laugh. When you can't beat them......join them! LOL!!!
    If only we could!!! But my dad does that with my nephews!!!!

Ignoring them is the best - children want the attention - better off to give them positive attention. Ask them if they would like to play a game/toy with you - then you go and start playing, hoping that they will join you quickly!

I definitely agree - consistency is the key! I know with my own children in the past that if they've "tried" and I say tried cause they usually didn't get too far, but if they've "tried" to throw a temper tantrum with me, I usually just walk away. They realize pretty quickly that their kicking and screaming isn't getting them anyway!

Starting to feel at home...
    It's my experience that kids don't generally tantrum unless they are overtired or hungry. I try to attack tantrums by being proactive....we aim for snacks with a protein and a carb for good energy, outside time and good naps. There isn't much that is more important than regular foods and sleep for my little guys.

That being said, tantrums happen. We try for consistency and gentle firmness, like the previous posters. We are also fans of redirection for the toddlers, timeouts for the preschoolers.

I rarely have temper tantrums but if I do I find that ignoring works best. I would make sure that the child is not hurting himself or others and then just let'em go, usually when they realise that they are getting absolutly no response from you they usually will stop.

I agree my 2 year old i care for has started with tantrums now and then.Usually if I ignore him in a few moments it is all over.For me to if a child is having a crabby day for whatever reason maybe a bad night i try and do something they love in the case of my 2 year old I care for he has a movie with a lot of music and action in it he loves! Mom walks him to my place so sometimes he just does not enjoy our cold weather ( who does) and putting that movie on gets his attention ,he starts moving around and forgets he was suposed to be crabby lol

I agree with you ladies. I usually just ignore the tantrum (because they are just looking for attention) and try to redirect them to another activity, or give them time to calm down. Then, when they are calm, I ask if they would like to join the group.
    The timeouts don't work for the toddlers because they don't stay for long, so i just make sure they are away from the other kids so they don't cause any injuries until they have calmed down.