Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    June will mark the one year anniversary of opening my home up to childcare. I am mostly loving it. I have found in the last year, I went through a lot of "learning curves". I have now determined what my ideal age group is, whether or not I will transfer, what to be firm on... etc. I am having our fourth baby in September, so will be taking that month off. I will re-open the first "work" day in October. I don't have a looooong term end date. I will likely do this for a number of years, as I will still have small kids at home myself. I would never ever just up and close on families, so I am thinking that when I do choose to cease operating, it will be a 12 to 18 month gameplan. That being said; we all know that life has other plans sometimes, so who knows what the future holds!!

Expansive...
    I'm the same as you I have been doing it for 7 months and hope to change careers when my little one starts school. Family and friends have been so so with the idea as they think it's a really tough job. It has its moments and can be challenging but what job isn't. The best part about this job is we are the boss we set the tone and pace for the day. Some days I'm really tired and or not feeling well and we just realax and have a movie day. The kids need it too! You can do that in the office setting. I was a flight attendant for 11 years and then a hotel manager for 2, the hours in hotels can be killer and I am sooooo greatful to have my weeekends off to be with my family.

I can't see me doing it for more than 5 years as I'm a serious go getter and really miss adult interaction but need to go back to school and I have no idea what new path to take!

I am in it for about 8 years now. I'm probably a lifer.

Starting to feel at home...
    I'm on my 11th year, I was only supposed to do this until my daughter went to school - she's almost 12. My next date is 3 years from now- when my mortgage is paid off. Then I'll go work part time in a centre base. That's the plan, what will probably end up happening is I'll carry on until I'm worn out. I love my job and I get paid to do it. For me it's the best of both worlds.

I'm hitting 13 years in Feb... and going to be doing this for at least another 5 years but probably forever.

It's been almost 15 months and I plan on doing it until our kids are in school full time (my son is 22mos and i'm 12 wks) and when my husband makes enough so that I don't have to work lol. I would most likely do something part time out of the house then. Or just have less kids/better hours.
    Cheeky Monkey Daycare

As long as my own kids need "before and after" care, I will be in daycare.

Outgoing
    I have been doing home daycare for 18 years. I worked in a centre for 2 and a half years before my daughter was born and decided to open my home daycare after my 6 month mat leave was over. This is my career, I went to college and got my ECE diploma so I cannot see myself doing anything else. I still enjoy my job very much.

My children are still in elementary school and I really like that I am here for them before and after school, march break, summer, when they are sick. I love being my own boss, my two hour break in the afternoon when all my dck's nap. I've done some form of child-caring, working in daycare center, having my own home daycare for 15 years...so I imagine I'll keep doing it for the foreseeable future.

I too started with the plan that I'd run the daycare 3-4 years until my children were in school full time I would move on to something else - now I've been running my daycare for close to 14 years and can't picture anything else. I've always said that when the demand dries up I'll close up and find something else - but the demand just gets greater and greater each year - I'd like to clone myself and run a second daycare if I could.