Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Yup another lifer over there ... I worked 17 years in centre care and the past 5 in home based program ... I love being self employed, the freedom and flexibility of a home childcare environment so as long as my old body holds out I plan to do this for as long as possible ... as I get 'older' I will likely drop down my work load to a part time smaller group.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Starting to feel at home...
    This will be my tenth year and my family and I have decided it will be my last. I will close down in a little over 90 days and take the summer of with my children. I look forward to all the changes ahead......Homedayca re has been really good to me, but it is really time for a change.

Euphoric !
    What is good is knowing when it is the right time for you and your family to make the changes. There isn't anything that magically counts down the years you just have to know. Good luck with what you are choosing to do next. I'm sure your children are looking forward to a summer with just mom too. PS let us Ottawa people know if you plan to have a daycare garage sale please. The downside to spending too many years in the business is that you have to replace stuff often.

My plan is to do it until my kids are in Gr. 1 and kindergarden, so 2-3 more years. But hoping to have our other business up and running by then so it might end sooner if all things go smooth. So in the meantime I am going to take a business course to finish our business plan. Find an investor. And then be running/managing the next place. (Child related as well, but no more daycare) Although if that falls through, I can see myself continuing for sure as I like how I've gotten it set up now with working with an assistant. Makes my life sooooo much better. I have to sacrifice a lot of my own income, but it makes me a much happier provider and its so good for the kids

Euphoric !
    I opened my business 4 years ago and plan to make this my last career. I love working at home and being the boss and after a lifetime of working for large corporations and just being a # it's really nice to be appreciated for my hard work by sweet families who are happy they found me.

Been opened 6 months only, and liking it a lot. The initial plan is to do it until my own kids don't need caregiver. I have a 9yo, a 6 and a 4 yo. So a few years I guess!

Starting to feel at home... dragonlady3's Avatar
    This has been a terrific conversation. Like many of you, I started out thinking I would keep my day care running until my youngest was in full-time school...but I liked the job so stayed on a bit longer. When my kids got sick or upset, I was there for them and I liked that. As my older children became more competent, I was able to employ them in the day care. Now I'm thinking of retiring when my youngest completes university!!! So I have been doing this crazy, wonderful job for 16 years...many years longer than originally anticipated!!

I will post a link to my big sale coming in July. I have a runabout stroller, plan construction set with table, doll house and large little tykes play house that will be the first things to go....

Euphoric !
    Not sure jury's still out ; ). Hahaha
    My youngest will be in full day jk in 2013 but I still have a mortgage so it will be awhile yet .... I can't work out of the house and make the same money as I do now when you factor in gas, clothing, lunches, time spent travelling to/from work, ect ... Plus I answer to me only, and I like my2 hour break in the afternoon to fold laundry, tidy , clean bathrooms, ect.... Also like the others said I can be home when my kids are on school breaks or ill.

Euphoric !
    I definitely want the link! I am always looking for new stuff as I've only been open for 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by ECE53 View Post
    I will post a link to my big sale coming in July. I have a runabout stroller, plan construction set with table, doll house and large little tykes play house that will be the first things to go....