Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    apples and bananas

Won't potty train

I have a fairly new child ( about a month now ) he will be 3 at the end of the year. He won't potty train. He will sit on the toilet with no questions. So, he has no problem with the toilet. But he won't go. He won't tell me if he's pee'd or poo'd in his diaper. As a matter of fact, if I ask him if he's poo'd ( because I sense a smell ) He always says yes, walks to the change table and just has a bit of a pee in his diaper.

Any thoughts? Should I just let him do it in his own time? He does the exact same at home. Parent's don't feel the need to push him and I feel the same way. But really... he's almost 3 and isn't showing any signs of being ready.

Outgoing
    I have his twin brother! Except he turns four tomorrow!!!!! I am at my wit's end with this one, he has been here for a year now and he WILL not pee or poop on the potty no matter how long we make him sit.

You can lead a horse to water but you cannot force them to drink

IMO he is not ready to train ~ if he cannot tell if he is wet or dry or if he has pooped after the fact than he is not going to be able to read his bodies cues yet to tell if he has to go BEFORE hand, if he is not staying dry for long periods of time than he is not able to 'control' his bladder or sphincter muscles and so forth you'd just be stressing yourself out and tied to the potty every 20-30 minutes peeing on a 'under developed bladder schedule' where they tinkle all day long rather than hold it until it is fuller.

I would stay in the potty introduction stage at this point ~ keep offering him the potty at routine times trying to get a 'success' on it so you can help him learn ~ see that is what it feels like while you are peeing / pooing, keep reinforcing language of actually having peed or pooped in the diaper so he can make the language connection and wait for him to show signs of 'readiness' to actually be thinking of actively training!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi