Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Abusing Toys and Misuse

I have one dcb who is 2.5 yrs old. Need some suggestions on how to curb this behaviour. He is an only child at home and is treated like royalty by his folks. I'm sure this problem exists at home but is not addressed. Otherwise, why isn't only here at daycare? He is the only one in my group who will dump on my wooden blocks, not to play but to kick and sweep across the floor and then walk away. He does this with the Hot Wheels cars as well. Grabs the bin, dumps the cars..takes one or two and leaves the mess behind. As well as several other activitie centres (play house with dishes, etc.)

All my dck's know that they need to clean up before going to another activity. I've had this dcb for 9 months now, so not something new to him. My old and tired saying here is "We DON'T Dump toys!"

I've stopped him in mid tracks and made him clean up the messes, but he STILL does this. I've removed the bins from his reach, but not fair to the other dck's. I;ve even taken cars away from him for the day as a consequence (these are his faves). I've run out of ideas. I'm tired of cleaning up messes behind him (saftey risk to the others).

What to do??

Anxiously awaiting an answer on this one too...and it's my own child!!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

I have a DCB exactly like this. He is part time and when he is here it looks like a hurricane went through my playrooms. In less than 5 minutes he can destroy a playroom. I had to remove a lot of toys or put them up out of reach when he is here. All small toys in bins get put up and over the last couple months it's gotten a bit better. I find he has a short attention span with toys and too many options seem to cause him to jump form one thing to another and he is super rough with stuff. I find less choices help, and cleaning up everything he dumps.

Euphoric !
    I have four free standing pantries I got from crappy tire, I have the majority of my toys in them and have child locks on the doors. I open one cupboard each day. Great form of toy rotation and you can let him pick a toy and then lock the door. When he's done with the toy and he's cleaned it up he can put it back and choose another one. you can store bins of cars, Lego, little people , ect on the top of the cabinets out of his reach.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

What a great idea Crayola

Euphoric !
    If you find his attention span is short and he is only playing with the chosen toy for a few minutes then tell him he needs to spend a few more minutes with the toy. Or use a timer and say when the timer goes off you may then choose another toy. Or sit him at the table locked in a booster seat with crayons and paper or playdoh.

Euphoric !
    I use timeouts and if the little guy refused to clean up he would be sitting in a time out AND THEN cleaning it up. I am relentless with my consistency demanding appropriate behaviour and no matter how long it takes it eventually pays off.

I have had children in my care who turn into monsters as soon as they see the parents but while they are here they know that they must follow my rules. I'm honest with the parents that I have to be strict and demand things from the children because there are 5 of them against one of me but I also think they will behave better just knowing that we expect more from them. But first we have to prove to them that we won't ever cave the way their parents do sometimes.