Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by michellesmunchkins View Post
    Wow! I don't charge my families for any of my time off. Its in my contract that they are supposed to pay me for stats but they don't bother and I found it more of a hassle to fight for it so I just let it go. I take ONE week off for the whole year and its unpaid. Any days that I need to close for family or other events I don't get paid for either. I think she is a bit excessive in what she is not only taking, but in making you pay for. I don't live in Vancouver, but that amount of time off with pay wouldn't fly here in Ontario. Sorry you are going through all this. I would be looking elsewhere if it was me.
    The bolded part, WHAT?? Why have it in your contract at all then? Not trying to jump on you here but this statement blew me away. If providers continue to not follow their own contracts, parents will continue to disregard them and believe them to be negotiable. If you do not abide by your own contract, then how can you expect parents to take you seriously? As for the OP, you signed the contract and are only now reading the fine print? Excessive or not, you signed the contract so it's not the provider in the wrong here.

Euphoric !
    All of the daycare providers on this site agree that this parent has been wronged. This woman's contract is ridiculous. Darasmommy needs to stop stirring the pot.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Yup darrasmommy you hit the nail on the head ..... I have the greatest job ..... The kids run around aimlessly all day while I sit on the couch counting my money and thinking up new ways to put the screws to the parents. Muahhahahaha !
    <eyeroll>.
    Someone please tell darrasmommy to take her meds

Euphoric !
    Ah just gettin your goat darrasmommy !!!!

I rarely have a problem cause I have a contract and I stick to it and it is clearly set out in plain English for all to read. I like to come on here to give advise to those who do have issues, maybe my advise helps maybe it doesn't. I certainly don't bad mouth my daycare families because you never know who's on here.
    But basically it boils down to I love my job, I love my commute, and my boss rocks !!!! Cause I certainly wouldn't change other kids shitty diapers for a living if I didn't!

Outgoing
    I don't know of any disgruntled, bored, angry babysitters on this forum. There are intelligent, dedicated professional daycare providers and I have been blessed with their advice and knowledge. I chose this career when I retired from being a full-time university professor because I believe that I am making a difference in the lives of families. It is not easy, nor am I well paid. I make more money in one evening of teaching than I make in a week of daycare. And your attitude, darasmommy is disgusting. You clearly have not experienced the joy of having your child cared for by a professional, but coming on here to insult my colleagues is not the answer. You could have asked for help in finding a professional daycare provider, and been given the questions you should ask to make sure you aren't just hiring a "babysitter." Instead, you insult us. This is a place for caregivers to seek advice when dealing with problems, because when you are helping parents raise little ones, there are lots of challenges. The experienced daycare providers on this forum share their knowledge openly, and that is such a blessing. I'm sorry you are bitter, but you are taking it out on the wrong people. It's like getting a first-year dental student to pull your tooth, and then blasting all professional dentists for not knowing what they are doing....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to treeholm For This Useful Post:

I honestly rarely have that problem...Because I've learned to concentrate on the good things I have to offer...Though sometimes children's behavior gets in the way of my vision LOL

Euphoric !
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not disgruntled or bored or angry and I'm also NOT a babysitter, how about you? I love being self-employed and I really care for my daycare kids and their parents are all pretty wonderful too. You know, this is really opening our own eyes to how wonderful we are and it's about time we all pat each other on the back for being dedicated to our profession and proud of what we do for a living.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Yes! Big pats to you and all of the other wonderful ladies on this site who give their all every day and make childrens' lives brighter I think the fact that we all spend time on this site learning from each other and trying to solve problems, shows that we are truly dedicated to what we do. Otherwise, why on Earth would I spend most of my break discussing daycare related issues? I could be watching soap operas instead, but I choose to be here and learning and helping others and becoming thebest caregiver I can possibly be

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

I'm outside Vancouver but I have never heard of any other daycare provider with a contract like yours.

I have all stat Holidays (Canadian) and a week between Christmas and New Years off (3 days). I have now added another week in September for all the new contracts.

I'm paid monthly, the same amount each month. Many months have extra days in them and since I have never closed because I am sick I feel the amount of days I get off is fair.

I have also had a hard time finding someone to run the daycare when I go on holidays.

Outgoing
    it definately sounds like you are being taken advantage of. I dont understand why she would take american and canadian stat days anyway. Does the contract say that you pay for her sick days, because those arent "holidays".

I dont think that the fact that you are a single mother has any bering here at all. I'm sure you would feel the same way if you had a second income in your household.

It seems to me that perhaps her contract is too vague because you seem surprised by what you have to pay for. If in fact the contract states that you pay for all of the days off as you mentioned then you have no one else to blame. As a self employed person she doesnt have to "ask" you for the time off. Its her decision when, but it is her responsibility to give proper notice.

If she wont budge on policies and its not working for you, its definately time to move on but be sure to read the contract thoroughly before signing. Perhaps a daycare centre would be more suited to you since you have no one to cover days off. that way you can save vacation days for vacation.. Best ofluck