Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by michellesmunchkins View Post
    Wow! I don't charge my families for any of my time off. Its in my contract that they are supposed to pay me for stats but they don't bother and I found it more of a hassle to fight for it so I just let it go. I take ONE week off for the whole year and its unpaid. Any days that I need to close for family or other events I don't get paid for either. I think she is a bit excessive in what she is not only taking, but in making you pay for. I don't live in Vancouver, but that amount of time off with pay wouldn't fly here in Ontario. Sorry you are going through all this. I would be looking elsewhere if it was me.
    your right Michelle, wouldnt fly in ontario. However YOU should be paid for stats for sure.

I cant believe the provider mentioned takes a day off for father day LOL. I suppose she gets her birthday off too.

Shy
    Hi.

I am a daycare provider in Ontario and you should find some one else to look after your child. I take 20 days per year which includes five for sick days. I give my parents a minimum of three months notice of any time I am taking off. She is taking advantage of you and if the shoe was on the other foot she would not like it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to noodlehead For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I have no idea if you are still reading the responses on this post, but just incase, CHANGE DAYCARES!!! I am a new owner of a multi-aged centre, I am paid for stats, and I take 1 week off in the summer and one week at Christmas off - paid vacation. Most businesses get paid vacation, and I am no different. However, having said that, there are a few situations where I will give discounts, for example, I have one family with 2 little boys, and they are now Mon and Friday... well that's when most stats fall... so I have given them a discount on their fees. It's a small price to pay for a fantabulous family like them. As a caregiver it is my job first to care for the children in my care, and second to do what I can to make "daycare life" as easy as possible for the parents. I will always do my best to help a family out - unless they start trying to take advantage of me in which case, I reassess the situation. Anyways, if you still check this thread let us know if you have changed daycares or not!

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by darasmommy View Post
    OP I hope you have been successful in finding a new daycare. That is completely outrageous, but after reading quite a bit on these forums from "daycare providers" it does not surprise me in the least. I would opt for a daycare centre that is licensed and registered.
    Why are you painting ALL daycare providers with the same brush?

That really isn't fair or helpful.

Expansive...
    Kelly...don't worry about darasmommy, she is just a troll who pops up every once and awhile! Don't take offence!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

There's dara again lol...does the troll have pink purple or blue hair? lol

Expansive...
    A gentle reminder Don't feed the trolls!
    The ignore feature is your friend

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamaof4 For This Useful Post:

Find another daycare.

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyP View Post
    Why are you painting ALL daycare providers with the same brush?

That really isn't fair or helpful.
    I wouldn't be surprised if darasmommy promoting licensed child cares is one herself with a chip on her shoulder for unlicensed ones getting all the work

I used licensed ones too from the year my son was born up to recently and in between had better unlicensed ones, yes better ones are unlicensed.. I have had nothing but bad experiences with all the licensed ones..

No prizes for guessing which ones I use currently and will always stick with. Licensed ones break all the rules, all of them, never had one that didn't, they just suit themselves.
    My son had some bad experiences I can tell you, I could write a book! I felt bad for him each time.

The unlicensed ones on the whole, most of them have been exceptional in comparison, listen and treat my son as an individual, not force him to fit in with their own children e.g. at nap times where my son was made to get up after 10 mins as one of the licensed ones daughters was waking up then. And another licensed one didn't offer or give him cereal as the first day at hers he didn't want any so she felt he wouldn't the next two days either??? Another licensed one when my son was a baby took a toy off him and put it back on the shelf at her day care when we went to see her, crazy.. had pictures of children on her walls but we never saw any other children there and my son chose to close his eyes and go back to sleep during the daytime rather then have to look at her (that is what she fed back to me!).
    Last year another one would tell my son off every single time I took him there as soon as he'd walk through the door, in the end I was assertive and told her maybe she should put her dog in another room, can't you see my son is nervous and why should he have to get used to it???
    Last edited by blackcomb; 08-10-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Outgoing
    It does seem excessive. I get paid for Canadian Stat days when I am closed, and also 10 personal days a year. So that's for sick and vacation. I give a month's notice for vacation dates and tend to hang on to a couple of personal days in case I get sick at the end of the year. I do have in my contracts that I can take more than 10 days with appropriate notice but I've never done it and the extra time would be unpaid.