Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fleas?

Starting to feel at home...

Fleas?

One of my daycare boys was playing when he first got here this morning and he said FLEA! And I asked him what he was talking about and he said there was a flea on his hand and that it was from his couch because they have fleas at his house.

I don't have any animals, and I don't know much about fleas. Should I be concerned about the fleas coming in my house from him?

I don't know much about fleas but I do know they bite humans as well as animals. They can also carry disease and like to be in a warm humid environment. I would have a little friendly chat with dcb to see how much info you can gather from him to see if this is true and then I would speak to parents from a health and safety point of view and state you can not have dcb at dc if he is in a flea infested environment at home. I am scratching this thinking about it!

I would call parents and ask outright! IF their are fleas in their house I would ask if they could remove their child until the infestation is "gone" at home!!! they don't use humans as host although they do bite. Check the boys body for flea bites, ankles first, but if the situation at home is bad they can be all over his body.
    I had a family that had a cat at home with fleas...they never told me until I found the bites all over the child tummy. I was very uncomfortable having her come in the house when I knew they were at home, I called the vet and they told me it was very unlikely they would come into my house as they dont use the human as host, however....my house..my rules. In my opinion, you are better safe than sorry. I have dogs, a cat and other animals that these little creatures could ride over on this kid for all i know then hop on one of them and yay!!! Now I have the problem! get to the bottom of it fast, you'll sleep better. (it's not like lice, but just a gross if you ask me!)

Euphoric !
    Insist on a change of clothes for at your house and put those on him for play and keep them at your house. Yes they could very well be on his clothes - pockets cuffs - anywhere dark. Probably not as likely in the sense of if they are clean clothes he is wearing they won't have come in contact with too many surfaces where the fleas are.

While it may not be like lice in terms of them being on the child it is the same in that if only a few arrive at your house they will trive quite nicely in your carpets and couches and multiply so the problem could be coming to you.

The fact the child knows all about them and the name and can talk about them tells you that it is a problem at their house so yes I would confront the parents and let them know what steps need to be taken care of. Not sure if your local health unit or some other agency would have advice on how you should deal with the child coming into care in terms of precautions.

If you find some bites then send the child home due to "rash" till he has been seen by a doctor and it varified in writing for him to return. At that point the doctor will advise the parents on measures to take.
    Also just reread your post and it sounds like the child actually had a flea he brought to daycare from home - sorry for the impromtu show and tell. I might also visit the pet store to look at some products and talk to staff there about treating your own house. There is a powder you can sprinkle and vacuum I think and well you might just feel better if you do that.

Euphoric !
    I would definitely have a discussion with the parents and have the child out of my home until their infestation was under control. I would do that because I have a cat and we don't have fleas here! There are sprays and powders but they cost a small fortune and the vet has a 'drop on the back of the neck of the animal' treatment. Your dcfamily should be looking into these things.

My son had a dog years and years ago and it got fleas and there were everywhere in my house and I had a 4 bedroom townhouse. It was a horrible experience that I don't ever want to repeat! I would be freaking out a bit if I were you. Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    So...

I talked a bit more to the daycare boy (he is 6). He said they got rid of their cat 10 days ago because he kept getting fleas and was peeing on the floor. He said they still have fleas, mostly on the couch. I checked his ankles and there were a few small scabbed over red spots.

Then I talked to the mom when she got here and said that her child had mentioned having fleas at home. She said that they did before, but they got rid of their cat a month and a half ago and the fleas are gone now.

So obviously there are some discrepancies in their stories and I'm not sure what to do at this point. Obviously she can't prove to me that they don't have a flea problem.

If his bites are scanned over I would give her the benefit of the doubt and use this as an opportunity to reinforce the importance of communication about things at home that could affect the child in the program - as a partner in child reading you should know a) if the child's been exposed to bug bites and b) suffered the loss of a family pet and grief can affect behaviour, appetite and so forth .... being in the loop about these important life things allows you to be able to properly support the child!!!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Starshine, thank goodness it's the weekend and you talked to the parent. If it were me I would examine the little boy before letting him in the door Monday morning but hopefully the parents will take care of the problem this weekend. Ask the little boy specific questions Monday morning and he will give you honest answers right in front of the parent. Yeesh! Good luck!

Euphoric !
    If you don't have animals in your house, the fleas really aren't a huge issue for you. They can't and don't live on humans. They will bite, yes, but will not reproduce in an environment which does not have suitable hosts...dog, cats, other furry animals. I'm sure the family is trying to deal with the infestation and there are some great products for that, but it takes time to wipe them all out.

have you looked into how long a flea can survive without a host, I think the amount of time is quite surprising, when my dkg had the fleas at home I did look into it, can't remember the exact time frame but was quite surprised at not only how fast they multiply but also how long they can survive with out the host. You may also want to look into how they live off your bites? is it possible they are staying alive longer by biting the human and getting a little flea nutrients from those bites? I know and serious infestation happens fast and can take quite a bit of effort to get rid of, alot more dif than just "getting rid of the animal". My daycare family "bombed" their house and left town for the weekend, no joke!!!!!!!!! Not even sure if that did the trick, lots of sprays and vacuuming went on that week as well. YUCK!!