Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning

Shy

Cleaning

I posted awhile ago about how to keep up with all of the cleaning chores around the house with 4 kids and a full house of daycare kids as well. Many of you said you have a cleaning lady come to your house. I was wondering when they come and how they work around you and the kids? Also what cleaning do they do and how frequently? Do you supply everything they need? How did you go about finding someone good and trustworthy, reliable? Thanks for your continued support and advice. I love this forum!

I wish I could give up my anal control to someone else cause the free time would be nice ~ I unfortunately am one of those people who would be embarrassed to have someone see my mess and have to 'clean for the cleaning lady' sort of defeating the purpose ~ although sometimes I think I might like to have someone come in once a month and do all the behind and under the fridge / stove / large furniture type things cause those chores kill my back and it amazes me how much crap accumulates there!

What worked for me is giving up the notion of having the house cleaned from top to bottom on one given day and instead breaking cleaning up into smaller segments and spreading it over the course of the week so that I can do as much as possible during quiet time ~ however it helps that I do not clean with chemicals but instead with Enjo so I do not need to worry about the children being exposed to the cleaning process and sometimes at the end of the day when I just have one child left they love to help with cleaning of their own space and because Enjo is basically microfiber cloth and cold water so they can help to dust and wipe down surfaces.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    [QUOTE=I I think I might like to have someone come in once a month and do all the behind and under the fridge / stove / large furniture type things cause those chores kill my back and it amazes me how much crap accumulates there![/QUOTE]
    ou
    Wow! You clean under the fridge and stove Reggio? You're truly awesome! In my house, if you can't see it, it doesn't exist I get under there like 2 or 3 times per year. With the unseen, ignorance is bliss.

Outgoing
    I agree with Regio. I would be stressed cleaning for the cleaning lady. My problem is keeping the house tidy, more that keeping it clean. I feel like all I ever do is pick stuff up...over and over and over....And things would have to be picked up in order for the cleaning lady to clean.
    I also break it up over the week rather than doing it all in one day...which is a benefit of being home. I also believe that cleaning is part of real life and there's nothing wrong imo with doing some light cleaning while the kids are freeplaying as long as I can still keep an eye on them. Folding laundry is also good with kids..match sock etc. I'm a firm believer in showing kids real life...and they're not in a center, they're in a home. It's all part of keeping a home!

Euphoric !
    I find I spend so much tidying that the cleaning goes by the wayside except for the basic dusting and vacuuming of the spaces you can see. Part of it comes from having so much stuff around that doesn't belong. As we move and arrange different areas things just get stuffed somewhere else in case we need them since truly I don't know yet. I too am of the if I can't see it I can pretend it isn't there. I am actively working on it though so there is hope. Till then a poor cleaning lady wouldn't have a hope of getting to anything to clean it. Although someone to do bathroom and kitchen top to bottom would really be nice.

Believe me some months I wish I could do the out of sight out of mind ~ I have a nasty dust allergy if I leave it go too long without cleaning I end up with sinus infections / chronic bloody noses

My recent renovation and the dust it created was HELL!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Oh you guys are silly! I have a cleaning lady come in every other Monday to clean my main floor, sweep & wash my floors, kitchen, including cupboards, 1/2 bath, dust, sometimes windows. She works for almost 2 hours and I can goof off all the weekend before. For instance, she's coming tomorrow so I don't have to do anything but cook and wash dishes and do laundry and scrapbook all this weekend. I love it! It's soooo worth it because I get really tired sometimes.

As far as cleaning for the cleaning lady, don't do that! And cleaning under the refrigerator or stove can wait at least a year!

Outgoing
    I have a dedicated play space for my daycare so my cleaning lady really doesn't have to clean around me very much. We also go outside when she is cleaning so that helps us stay out of her way. She cleans 2 bathrooms, vacuums, dusts, washes down counters and appliances, and washes the floor. She comes in twice (sometimes 3 times) a month. She answered my ad looking for a cleaning person. I interviewed her, checked her out and it's all been great! I love having a free weekend a couple time a month to do what I want to do.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Euphoric !
    My cleaning service comes every two weeks (Fridays) and on Thursday night I pick up stuff off the floors and get the kids to tidy their rooms. That way it's faster he he doesn't have to stop repeatedly to pick up toys and crap off the floor. I have a dedicated daycare space and so only the main floor gets cleaned and we are downstairs anyway so not in the way. I do use the upstairs bedrooms for sleeping so they have to be done first. The only thing in the daycare that I ask to be cleaned is the bathroom and I look after the rest myself. The appliances do get pulled out just not every time, as well the fridge gets cleaned but not every time either. My cleaner arrives around 9 and leaves at 2:45. He does the floors, (vacuuming. Mopping) the bathrooms(3 full and one 2 pc) the kitchen including the range and range hood, inside micro, front of cabinets and all sinks, then occasionally he does the shutters, ceiling fans, clean inside fridge. Pull out appliances.

Euphoric !
    We are all probably alike, sweeping and vacuuming and dusting daily so that our homes are always clean. It's just really nice to have somebody else to do the extras once in a while so we get a break. We work really hard, long days and deserve some help now and then.