Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Babysitter vs Daycare provider

I know this came up in another thread, but we can get more into it here.

Does it bother you when people call you a 'babysitter' instead of a 'daycare provider'? How much does it bug you? I know that a babysitter is someone you pay to come to your house to watch your kids there for a few hours and what we do is SO MUCH MORE than that. But honestly speaking, it really doesn't offend me that much. Should it? Maybe if you tell me why it bugs you, i can understand better?

I wonder if people simply use the term baby sitter interchangeably with the term DCP? It used to be a generic term that applied to anyone caring for children (aside from centres), so i wonder if its just out of habit? Anyhow, we should be distinguished as a DCP and be called that by everyone. In my case, i know my DCparents use the term DCProvider, and if i do hear the term babysitter, i just find a polite way to say "well as little Billy's DCprovider, i think......"

I don't think parents who say babysitter instead of dcp do so with any ill intentions. They don't refer to us in that way to make us feel inferior or small, i think it is just a generic term that some people use. I saw my old neighbour in the grocery store the other day who asked if I was still babysitting. Whenever I am referred to in this way I feel a little something like somehow the comment is belittling, but because most people don't use that term with the purpose of playing down our roll as caregiver, that it really isn't a negative. Honestly I think it is more our ego/complex that has us wanting to be noticed for the great roll we play in raising children through early years and to call us a babysitter implies that we just put the kids in front of the tv and don't do anything with them. Our roll is slandered more and more so we want to stand up for ourselves to prove that we aren't like some of the bad eggs that are out there. I don't think we should let it bother us as much as it does because it is really just a reflection of the person commenting and their lack of knowledge of our roll. And their lack of thought and consideration around being politically correct. I didn't correct my neighbour because it is her generation for sure....nearly 60. I know that if I explained the difference between my role as a dcp and her daughters rolls as my kids babysitters in the past that she would just dismiss it as the generic name she uses to describe people who care for kids. And I'm sure she would continue referring to me and others as babysitters after such conversation so really what's the point. I can't control others, only my reaction to them. I don't need validation from others to know what role I play in the world, professionally or personally so I pick my battles. On the occasion when it is constantly being said and I have a human moment when I get annoyed, I would not beat around the bush about it. Oh my goodness, if we just got to the point in life with people, things would no longer be so much of a problem. If I was offended I would just politely explain that we dcp's do not like to be described as babysitters as we do a hell of a lot more for children and get paid a hell of a lot less so think about that next time you label us babysitter. I'm not worried about offending them as they don't give the same consideration to others feelings when labelling them thoughtlessly and inaccuratly.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    It doesn't bother me at all. I look after children - babysitter, daycare provider - whatever. When I worked in an office I had no issues about being called a secretary either instead of administrative professional or whatever everyone else liked to be called. Each to their own.

That being said I do refer to myself as a daycare provider. I have also never had anyone call me a babysitter before so who knows how I would feel. I guess it all depends on the context of what was said.
    Last edited by mickyc; 02-27-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Euphoric !
    Like I said in the other thread, it's the way it's said. If they mean no disrespect by it than I'm not going to get picky about it. I agree with what BS said.

However, I think being called a dcp gives more respect and appreciationl for what we do. It also sounds more professional. Having said that though, there are some wonderful babysitters who go above and beyond and some crappy dcp's who offer nothing more than "babysitting".

When someone asks me what I do, I say that I am a dcp but if someone wants to thank me for babysitting their child, I have no issue with it even though sometimes yes, the word babysitter annoys me. lol

Euphoric !
    I haven't been called a babysitter yet by any of my families but I have on multiple occasions by my parents. It offends me when they call me this because I feel it is meant offensively as they do not agree with my doing this profession as they think it's a waste of my education (they never said it so strongly but this is how they feel) and they worry that I won't be able to get back into my field when I choose to. So in this case, yes it irks me. My parents think it's wonderful I am with my kids but they don't think this was a smart move and tried many times to talk me out of it.

Expansive...
    I think the reason it irks me personally is because babysitter is very casual, young and basically just stays with the kids to ensure they are safe.

I feel like what I/we do is so much more. I work 10.5 hours per day looking after the children....then I have about 2 hours at the beginning and end of each day to clean up, cook ahead, prepare or look up crafts, write newsletters, etc

I spend evenings doing daycare stuff, I spend weekends doing daycare stuff. There are times where daycare seems all-consuming and I sacrifice down time with my own kids because I am either doing daycare stuff like clean up or preparing for the new daycare week ahead.

Being a dcp is not just a casual PT way to make extra money like a babysitter would. I work my butt off and I work at preparing learning games, teaching them ABCs, counting, shapes, colours, building a foundation for literacy. I feel like an educator and this is a full commitment on my part. When someone calls it babysitting then it feels to me like they don't assign respect or value to the important work I do and the sacrifices I make for my own free time and kid time and how hard I work for the sake of these little people.

I also have talked to people or other parents who would talk about my job as 'babysitting' and they do mean it as a put down or like they are better than me. However...I whole heartedly think some people say babysitter and don't mean anything ill or snooty about it. I think there are both ways to use the word but I always refer to my job as daycare - never babysitting.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    What Mimi said I don't mind at all although sometimes it would be nice to have a fancier name to my profession just for my egos gratification!

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a couple of children that refer to me as their babysitter, and I do not think much about it. BUT when my hubby is asked what I do, he always says 'babysits', and it REALLY irritates me!

The thing is that he does not do it in a demeaning way, in fact, he has openly admitted that he would not be able to handle what I go through on a daily basis. It is just what he refers to daycare as. And I think that it is the same for most people. Babysitting, daycare, childcare, it is all the same.

Outgoing
    I've noticed that it does bug me, but I try to let it go. It's only happened to me once. I was at one of the dck's birthday party, and his great grandma sat down to visit with me and my youngest child. She started the conversation with "So you are xxx's babysitter" So immediately I was put off, but I knew it wasn't meant to be rude. She was actually a very nice sweet lady, so I'm glad to have had the chance to meet her. But I obviously still don't feel good about being a "babysitter" instead of a childcare provider. We do so much more than a babysitter, and make so much less money (per hour)! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Fun&care View Post
    What Mimi said I don't mind at all although sometimes it would be nice to have a fancier name to my profession just for my egos gratification!
    Mimi hasn't posted in this thread lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post: