Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...
    Play and Learn - I'm in Kanata West. Is your sister near here? If not I'll check online for one. Thanks.

I've just sent you a PM agesandstages!

I cloth diaper my own children and use tea tree oil on cotton swatches in my diaper pail. One of my DCK is cloth diapered and his get bagged and go into his diaper bag for mom to wash.

I love cloth diapered DCK!!! Makes it easier on me! I send the dipes home for mom to wash. I don't have stinky poop in my garbage (did you know that you're supposed to drop solid stools into the toilet and NOT send them to the landfill?). I also save money within my business because I don't have to buy garbage bag tags as often to deal with all the diapers that the 5 kids I have in diapers produce.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilys4Guppies View Post
    I cloth diaper my own children and use tea tree oil on cotton swatches in my diaper pail. One of my DCK is cloth diapered and his get bagged and go into his diaper bag for mom to wash.

I love cloth diapered DCK!!! Makes it easier on me! I send the dipes home for mom to wash. I don't have stinky poop in my garbage (did you know that you're supposed to drop solid stools into the toilet and NOT send them to the landfill?). I also save money within my business because I don't have to buy garbage bag tags as often to deal with all the diapers that the 5 kids I have in diapers produce.
    Put the solid waste into the toilet??? How is that possible? It usually isn't in a conditon where that could happen. Usually BMS are pretty smeared and mushy. No thanks
    lol

I have 3 in diapers and I do worry what will happen this summer. I do not want flies and bugs to get attracted to the pungent smells. I have kept green box waste in my freezer or fridge for fear of the bad smell and attracting flies but there is no way I can do that with diapers of course. I just know I will freak out if I see a maggot coming because of the diapers. Maggots give me the heebie jeebies.

Yup, solid waste has to be flushed. I cloth diapered both my kids so I'm not looking forward to dealing with disposables but that's just part of the job. Any system can work as long as there's regular dumping of diapers in a garbage bag to keep the smell down.

I had a DCP who wanted the disposables sent home with her son. She felt she could better gauge his pee and poops for the day. *shrug* I guess it's like that episode of Scrubs where they sing about "the answers in the poop". I was glad, again, not to have it in my garbage.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spixie33 View Post
    I am wondering what everyone does to keep the diapers from smelling between green bin or garbage pickups?

We can put diapers in a reclcying green bin program that comes once a week along with the other recycling but I am worried how to keep these diapers from smelling as the weather gets warmer. I definitely don't wnat my garage turning to defcon 5. lol

I have them in a hinged, locking lid ocntainer but it isn't air tight. After every diaper change I take the diaper to the garage and put it in this bin.

The weather is still cool here in ONT but even when I open the lid it already has a punch to it.

What are you using and how smell effective is it??
    Go to dollarama and in the pet section they have bio degradable poop bags for dogs with a vanilla sent, you get 60 in the box and each bag can hold up to 3 diapers, tie it off and toss in the bin in the garage. I have been doing this for 3 years and its such a lifesaver!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Yup, I love those scented baggies!! And since I can't always find them, I stock up when I do!
    The dollar store lady must wonder how many dogs I have, what with needing a dozen boxes of bags, lol.

Outgoing
    I also just switched to the diaper champ from the diaper genie. This was a money related decision, and i found it on kijiji for $5. I just find i am running low on grocery bags since i take a bag full to the garage every other day. Thinking of asking parents to help me with a supply of bags. im sure everyone has lots to give!
    all of our garbage goes to the garage, in a garbage bag in a can. the smell is not an issue because of this.

Euphoric !
    I ask my parents to help by supplying bags. They are more likely to stop at the store on the way home and not one of the reusable bags with them.Now that bags cost 5 cents at most places we use the reusable ones and I miss the plastic ones because I actually did use them. On the other hand at 5 cents a bag for a days worth of diapers it is worth getting some lightweight stuff put in a few so they get home with no holes.