Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Expansive...

Diapers ! How do you keep them from smelling?

I am wondering what everyone does to keep the diapers from smelling between green bin or garbage pickups?

We can put diapers in a reclcying green bin program that comes once a week along with the other recycling but I am worried how to keep these diapers from smelling as the weather gets warmer. I definitely don't wnat my garage turning to defcon 5. lol

I have them in a hinged, locking lid ocntainer but it isn't air tight. After every diaper change I take the diaper to the garage and put it in this bin.

The weather is still cool here in ONT but even when I open the lid it already has a punch to it.

What are you using and how smell effective is it??

Euphoric !
    We have green bins here in Ottawa, but we can't put diapers in them unfortunately. I am fortunate that I use cloth diapers mainly with my daughter and two of my daycare children are also in cloth, so I only have one in disposables, so it shouldn't be too bad. I don't have any solution other than to tie them into garbage bags.

Shy
    I use a diaper genie in the house, it normally last 2 days or so then I take them outside to a garbage can with a lid, the smell isn't pretty but since the diapers are all in a bag inside the can it's bearable other than when you first take the lid off.

I have a Diaper Champ (I find these are less smelly than the Diaper Genie - siblings each had one), and at the end of each week, I take the bag out. With the Diaper Champ, you can use any bag you want (saves on monies - I just buy the Kirkland kitchen bags from Costco). I do not throw in the BMs, just bag these separately, and throw them in the garbage bag in the garage.

We have weekly pick-up. Luckily we're not in the city of Ottawa, where they're going to be doing garbage every second week - YUCK!!!

Like momto3plus1angel said:
    the smell isn't pretty but since the diapers are all in a bag inside the can it's bearable other than when you first take the lid off.

Expansive...
    That's the gross thing....we only get garbage pickup every 2 weeks but blue box and green bin every week.

I don't feel comfortable throwing diapers in the garbage and leaving it for TWO weeks. I have a big disgust and issue with maggots and I don't think I can handle it if I see them on my garbage this year. Ewww

It has been great with the diapers in the garage during the cold weather but everything gets worse and stinky in summer. They have also thought about disallowing diapers in the green bins here but so far we have been lucky that they allow it. i can't imagine waiting two whole weeks otherwise

Euphoric !
    Even with the two week garbage here in Ottawa there is supposed to be a plan for picking up diapers either weekly or at least on the inbetween weeks and then out with the garbage the other week. I just put in the garbage can and then when full bag goes to the garbage can. Smell isn't my problem - it is the garbage man's who takes the lid off. I do leave the cans sit with no lid on till needed. The poopy ones go into a grocery bag or empy bread bag or whatever. Parents keep me supplied with their plastic bags - love letting me take them off their hands. Guess since I have 5 in diapers plus my own special needs in depends that I just accept the smell as normal. Pretty sure if someone came over they would be appalled by it. I change diapers between my bathroom and laundry room so diapers go directly into laundry room with door closed and that helps too.

I also grab the veggie bags from the grocery stores to use for the BMs. Got the idea from a DCM.

Expansive...
    I use plastic carrier bags and double bag the stinky ones. Diaper Genies and I have not gotten along.

Starting to feel at home...
    Play and Learn, where did you find the Diaper Champ? I checked online and can't find it at toyrus or sears. thanks!

UsedOttawa.com or Kijiji.ca! My sister has one that she might sell. Please PM me if you're interested, and I'll ask my sister!