Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Did I make the wrong decision???

Hi Everyone,

So, last week I had one of my daycare parents tell me that they can't do 3 days per week for their two children and then move to 4 days a week beginning in January as it was already discussed when they started in September and when they signed the contract. Its for financial reasons I was told and they wanted to do just 2 days a week. I also only have one other part time family right now being 2 days a week as well for their child. Well, financially I can't do that either so I told the family that they have to stick to what was originally agreed upon when they signed the contract or I would have start advertising again and so yesterday they let me know that they can't do that and are done in two weeks . The other family I have part time I had also asked to put in one mroe day a week because I can't do it financially with just 2 days a week and she said she would get back to me, haven't heard anything back yet.

In the mean time I have put up an advertisement and have two interviews on Thursday, fingers crossed. I jsut hope that something works out and that the other part tiem family doesn't leave too, because then I could have NO daycare children .

Did I make the right decision in asking the families to stick with what they signed on for in the contract and adding in a day because financially I couldn't do it anymore??

Thanks!

Euphoric !
    Why couldn't the families have shared spaces in that they would be filling the equivalent of 1 1/2 spaces leaving you free to fill the other spaces you have.

If you need them to be full time rather than part time then better that everyone knows now and you can advertise accordingly.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Tough one ~ part time is challenging to navigate for sure and well full time is always a nicer option and my preference as well.

Starting out part time was all I was attracting as well ~ I only had 1 full time children and 9 part time children sharing my remaining 4 spots and it was challenging to say the least trying to program around so many part time kids over the years I have weaned my enrollment so that I now do my best to only allow 1 part time space and the others I prefer and hold out for full time ... so if a current full time client wants to drop down to part time they can only do it if I have a part time opening other wise they get told I can do it 'temporarily' while I advertizing for a full time client (so I have some income coming in while I am seeking the perfect client to replace them) however once I find and secure a full time client they would have to give up their full time space and I will give them as much notice as possible depending on how early the new client can start ... for some clients this has been acceptable and they stayed on during the advertizing period and it worked out for them because during that time one of my part time clients went on mat leave and opened up a space for them to move into so I was able to keep them and sign on someone new ... but I would have respected had they pulled entirely as they need to do what is best for them as do I.

It is a hard balance because you need a viable income in order to stay open however asking clients to use more childcare than they 'need' in order to do that well not very many people are going to be willing to pay for something they do not need so you risk loosing them
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

It is difficult when families change their attendance needs. I generally go with the changes. I currently have 1 f/t and 7 p/t so I am not full and I need to be flexible due to seasonal jobs and with parents on mat leave. Since they had not honoured your contract (without malise) they have voided it so I would advertise and if you had the opportunity to have f/t dck's fill their spot I would do it and then have let the p/t family go. Good luck with your interviews.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

The majority of my clients are part time. Although I am low right now (seems hard times for everyone) it has seemed to work out quite well for me in the past years to work my schedule out with all kinds of part timers to fill up as if full time. (have two families sharing days of the week so it equals to be close to full time income) In my case it has actually worked out for the better, my minimum is three days a week (pay) they are due to pay for three days a week, if they choose to use only one or two days in a week that's up to them but still require the minimum due of 3 days pay. If you take multiple families at that minimum due rate, you can actually manage to make more income than full time families. Your choice though... if you NEED the income I would think twice before letting families go, maybe you can come to an agreement? they pay for three days a week rather than your agreed "4", and their asking "2"? I have in the past though let families go because I felt they were trying to "cheap" out after making an agreement like the one you are dealing with...but I also had plenty of other income to compensate for the loss. Your choice....just think a little before going ahead with it, if you don't fill these spots you could regret not at least trying to meet in the middle.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

I don't think there are any "wrong" decisions when it comes to enrollment and filling spaces in the manner you want them filled. However, what I might have done is filled the spot first and THEN gave them notice.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    An alternative would be to allow it but do it on a month by month basis. You could let them know that you are willing to try to lmited days for now and see if you can manage it budget wise and if the kids can manage it (often kids on fewer days are harder to handle. Less consistency)

If it becomes too dificult to handle you will give appropriate notice.

This way you could put up the advertising and if something better comes along let them know that you just can't manage it, offer their origional agreement to them or send them on their way.

Good luck to them finding care 2 days a week. Very hard to find.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Thanks everyone for your advice, but looks like I am starting all over again. I got an email this morning saying the other family is done in two weeks as well as the dad can't find a job so they can't afford even two days a week now. Hopefully my interviews on Thursday go good. This is a crappy day, and its my birthday to boot, not such a nice birthday present

I agree with Judy, fill the spot first then tell the family. Take care of your needs first. If the family only wants 3 days a week so be it, but do look for someone else to fill the spot. When you find another family give the registered family the option of changing the number of days they want care for and let them know that you have another family that is interested in the spot. If the registered family says they don't want it, tell them you will have to terminate the contract. I have written in my contract that either party must give one month's notice on or before the 1st of the month with the termination starting on the 1st of the following month.

Good luck with your interviews. I hope it all works out well for you.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to horsegirl For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Awww, that's crappy Hope you can still salvage your Birthday! Go out for a nice dinner!!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post: