Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by treeholm View Post
    Of course, I also think it is very strange that someone on maternity leave would send an older child to daycare as well. Could be a generation thing since I'm a grandma, but I never heard of such a thing until recently. I would have felt incredibly guilty sending my child somewhere if I were home.
    . I had the fortune to time the birth of my second just as my oldest started school. It was nice to get a nap in in the afternoon when I was often up in the night with the little one. I currently have 2 part timers whose moms are on mat leave sharing a full-time spot (kind of nice because I get to see the little babies/siblings regularly too that will be starting with me as well when the time comes). I think by keeping their kids in daycare while on Mat leave it keeps their space, keeps the child in the routine, makes for a happier, more stimulated, social child, makes the adjustment to a new sibling a little easier (things are new at home, but same old at daycare...we all know how toddlers can resist change). I personally just don't know how families afford it. I remember things being pretty tight when I was on Mat. Leave!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    As some other posters said Moms often leave an older child part time while on mat leave so they get some stimulation since while mom is busy with the baby the tv often becomes the babysitter. I have one going on mat leave and the older child is staying full time for the first 6 weeks while mom gets her sea legs again and then the child is going to part time until the end of mat leave when both will cone here full time. It keeps their spot too!

apples and bananas
    I have 2 parents on mat leave right now. One has been on mat leave for 2 months and I've had her child full time even though the plan was 2 - 3 days a week. The other hasn't had the baby yet but has started mat leave at one more day then origionally planned. I think it depends on how young the older child is. In my case both are only 18 months. I'm ok with it! More in my pocket.

Don't the parents have to pay for the spot even though they are on leave? I always consider it a chance for the Mom to get some house work done or a much needed nap while the older sibling gets a little social stimuli from other kids his or her age. I can't really blame the parent for using the spot I require they pay for.

Shy
    Thank you all for your thoughts! I spoke with a public health nurse who agreed with my inclination to keep the healthy sibling home. While a daycare centre would not require this, in a home daycare the impact of me or my children getting sick is very different (I can't call in sick and have someone cover me and care for my group of kids). I also read some other forums and it seems that providers are divided 50-50 on whether to allow healthy siblings, so I guess like so many other things we stand for what feels best for us. Now to get through the week without anyone else catching the bug...

apples and bananas
    [QUOTE=kidlove;28131]Don't the parents have to pay for the spot even though they are on leave? I always consider it a chance for the Mom to get some house work done or a much needed nap while the older sibling gets a little social stimuli from other kids his or her age. I can't really blame the parent for using the spot I require they pay for.[/QUOT

I can afford (and need the break) for both families to go part time for the year. So I've made an arrangment with them. I charge both $80 a week every week of the year regardless or sick, vacation, etc. For $80 a week they can choose to bring their child for 2 days a week if they wish. All days above this are the regular rate. But the one has chosen to still send him full time. And that's ok with me!

I've been very lucky this year that my schedule has just fallen into place. I had a rough go when I started but it's smooth sailing now.

Starting to feel at home...
    Sometimes the rest of the family does not get ill, just the one member. I will not accept a child if they are sick, or show signs of illness as per my contract. I will not accept a child if they have a cold and have green/yellow or clear mucous running from their nose.

Some parents have gotten annoyed and have made comments that they can't take time from work. The same parents have taken a couple of days off from work to have a date with their spouse at the beach and lunch, to go shopping accross the border and to do Christmas shopping, just to name a few. They drop their child off and off they go for a fun day. When their child has to stay home because of illness I politely remind them that sometimes we have to save up our holidays/sick days from work so that we can look after our little ones when they are sick, because this is a more important job than they will every have.

I have even had parents drop off children that look a little pale and lethargic. When I ask the parents if their child is ok they answer yes I think he is just a little tired. Four hours later he has a high fever. Upon phoning the parents for pick up they tell me that the Tylenol must have worn off. I pack up the child for pick up, gave the parents a letter of termination and send them on their way. Most parents are very good about not bringing them even when they have a cold, but you get the odd few that try to sway the system to fit their needs. It doesn't work here.