Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flu shot?

Euphoric !
    Littlefeet: I wouldn't give it to a young child...I just don't think it's necessary unless they have a comprimised immune system for some reason. Colds and flus are just a part of childhood. I know that must sound funny coming from me, considering my initial post...LOL. However, I am not really for extra vaccinations, which is why I never got the flu shot before. I think I just hate to close my daycare because of being sick and hate having the flu so was feeling a bit desparate. However, I think I will probably not get it after all...I was just having a weak moment

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I worked in a medical lab for years and always got them, but don't any more since leaving there. The flu shot contains the virus for known flues from recent years but any virus that has managed to mutate into a new strain will still get you and that means there are still 1000's of those sicknesses flying around at all times. Also, there is a list of additives in the shot, such as eggs, mercury, etc. all in minute quantities, but it's usually the additives that cause a reaction in people. You can't catch the flu from a flu shot because the virus in the flu shot are all dead. But you can catch the flu from going to your doctor's office to get the flu shot because there are other germs there!

Outgoing
    Never got it and never will and EVERY YEAR my docotor try and try to convince me. I just don't get it ... I"m not a person at risk and am healthy, I think I can manage a flu or a bad cold on my own and I think it's actulay better like that no ? Kinda of like excercise for the immune system... no ?
    But ever since I have been at home with kids I actually am getting less sick ... does it make any sense ? Last year we had a violent round of the stomach flu and I am the only one who did not get it ... yet I was the one wiht both hand right in it.

Quote Originally Posted by crafty View Post
    Kinda of like excercise for the immune system... no ?
    BEST QUOTE OF THE DAY

Quote Originally Posted by crafty View Post
    .....ever since I have been at home with kids I actually am getting less sick ... does it make any sense ?
    Makes perfect sense to me ~ I find this as well because I have more control over my work environment and therefore my stress levels as well as being home I am able to eat way healthier and sleep better and so forth!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Starting to feel at home...
    Thank you sunnydays!

I'm not going to give my daughter the flu vaccine.

I was contemplating it, and only if her pediatrician receives the Mercury-Free version but the chances of that are slim anyways (according to him) but no. I think you are right. It's probably safer to go with the risk of her getting the flu since there is a high chance she will get some type of flu anyways.

Outgoing
    When I taught elementary school, we were asked to get it, and they even had a doctor come to the school to do them. I was often sick. In the last 15 years, I haven't gotten one, and haven't been sick. If I start to get a cold, I take Cold FX, and the symptoms usually only last a day or so. I've read too much about the dangers of getting the flu shot to ever take that risk again. I also never let my children get the shot, and even my elderly mother was advised against getting one the last few years of her life. She was also very healthy and rarely had a cold.

apples and bananas
    I used to get it every year when I lived with my grandparents. I then proceeded to get it for my kids every year. One year I got lazy and just didn't do it. I didn't notice any difference. We are not a family that seems to get too sick. I get the odd stuffy nose and head cold, but it lasts only days for the most part and nothing that kicks me on my butt. If I have a stomach flu go through the house, I get that every time! But we rarely have problems with that, and in reality, they only last 24 hours for the most part. My kids rarely take days off school for sickness. So, I just don't bother anymore.

I got the flu shot once about 5 plus years ago or more, when they had the big "killer flu" scare. My kids were little and I was naive. We didn't get sick that year though! I find the beginning of Day Care you seem to pick up all kinds of illnesses but after that......you build up an immunity and don't get sick as often.