Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

What do you do when you are really having a BAD day ?

iSorry I will be venting a little today as I need support from fellow daycare providers.

So for me today is a really bad day ! Nothing out of the ordinairy but many little things mixed together added up. I barely slept and woke up with a splitting headache. It's seems to be better now but still annoying. On top of things I find the DCK and my own are having a bit of problem behaving today I've had tantrums, whinning, fighthing and screaming, blunt defiance, pooh and pee accidents ... BLAH ! I feel like it's taking me eveything I have and more to just keep calm. So how do you keep your cool and what do you do to try to survive the day? So far I've taken a few 'breaks' by sitting with a T and logging on here. I put the little ones down a little early for nap but I still have the afternoon to get trough haha. This is the worst day I have had so far. I try to let the kids freeplay but I find that today it is not working for them. They fight over toys, or get over excited or WAAYY too loud for what my head can handle right now.

So thanks for reading and your sympathy

Euphoric !
    Ohhh....you and me both!!! I could not sleep for some reason last night...until maybe 3 or 4am! Plus I am still getting over a flu...and I have a new baby who is transitioning and another who started 2 weeks ago. The new baby screamed for an hour straight (thankfully he was here only for half day today) and it set everyone else off as well. And I am just sooooo tired I just keep telling myself that it will get better and that a good night's sleep will make a big difference. I try to focus on only what is necessary and leave out extras on days like this...I have all kinds of Halloween crafts planned, but haven't been able to start on them due to all of this...but I know the kids are okay without them! As long as everyone is fed, clean and safe, I am just letting them play and trying to sit down when I can. I hope your afternoon looks up...praying for long naptime for both of us

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    sleep is such a huge determining factor on the type of day ahead! I count down the hours and have a glass of wine at the end of the day!

Politically incorrect answer? Okay. I try to choose activities that I know the kids will stick with for a long time and play well. Here it's PlayDoh. They'll stay at table an hour easily when the PlayDoh's out!

Then wine at the end of the day!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gcj For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    That's weird. I couldn't sleep last night either. For me, the answer is to get out of here and take them to a park and RUN THEM! I put the crock pot on at 9am, we were out of here by 9:15 this morning, back inside at 11:45, lunch and then a 3 hour nap, YES! That's how I saved my day.

Sometimes we have to know that we need a downtime day and we shouldn't feel guilty about it. Nobody can give 100% all of the time and when we get exhausted it's dangerous for everyone. We have a really hard job and work long days and have to watch all the children all the time for safety sake.

Crafty, I hope you get a bubble bath with your favourite beverage and a good book tonight or whatever you do to relax and have a better day tomorow.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

You must take care of YOU first. So, if that means letting them free-play all day then fine. If that means pulling out the TV for a day, fine. If that mean an early and extended naptime, fine.

You know how on the airplane when they give the safety talk they tell you to fix your air mask FIRST and then help others? Well, daycare is not different - the provider must come FIRST because without having a good frame of mind you can't care for others. Kids die in daycare (not saying you are to that point) because the providers don't set things up to take care of themselves first. The provider doesn't have tricks that she can use or pull out to use when she needs some extra breathing room and the kids are there. It happens, no one can be ON all the time. It's not possible.

Never feel guilty for putting on YOUR mask first.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... angelina's Avatar
    crafty: hope things feel better tomorrow. mine here is a struggle. my own daughter defies me - terrible three not two.

i find play doh distracts them and they enjoy it a lot. we make it from scratch and it makes the playtime longer. they measure, they spill in the kitchen, but they have spend at least 30 minutes just to mix it and passing the dough around.

at the end of the day- zumba music is on. i got my wine and cheese. my 2 year old dance zumba with me.
    If they whine, give them cheese. If they're not hugable, hug yourself. (me)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to angelina For This Useful Post:

so crazy!!!! thought it was just me, I too (no joke) slept terrible last night, and I NEVER sleep poorly, usually lay down fall asleep right away and sleep really good through the night...last night I slept terrible! maybe there is a "tilt" in the earth or something?
    ha, anyway...every once in a while I have a really bad day, me, the kids, crazy things take place that pile up to a whole lot of "stress"....some of you may shutter a little but, I don't care....on days like that when I can't seem to keep the fighting and arguing down and I just feel like I may blow!? I lay them down early for starters, and if that doesn't help....I pop some popcorn or prepare other snacks, and we VEG! I let the kids pick a show and we all chill out. Kuddos to those who practice "no screen time" credit to you! but I DO use it, a.m's transitioning they watch disney or PBS then, on REALLY bad days, or movie fridays...... works like a charm!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Very weird! I barely got any sleep at all last night too! Splitting headache, cold, cough, sore throat... then my son woke up at 5am just as I was finally about to fall asleep because his nose was blocked too! Tough day to say the least.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jazmic For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Well thanks a lot guys, WOW ! Reading you really helps and Judy, I loved what you say ... I think I will write that on my Playroom wall : ''Put on your MASK first'' I've said this to a lot of my friends, this job I LOVE IT but I never worked so hard in my life. Bad days are REALLY bad days. It's not like when you need a break you can just go outside for a walk by yourself, it's not like you can actually leave a problem and come back to it when you are ready.
    Anyway the day ended and I just sat with my kids watched TV ate leftovers and when they went to bed so did I. Normaly I do have a abth and a glass of wine when I want to make myself feel better but last night I was even too tired for that.
    Feeling much better today. I don't really have a TV setup in my daycare space but I have a movie ready just in case for today

Cheers to all my daycare providers who are having a bad day ... to quote Judy ''Never feel guilty for putting on YOUR mask first. ''

Euphoric !
    Oh, I'm glad you are feeling better today crafty. We all have those low days now and then and need to take it slow and realize that we need a break. The children love a day now and then to play with all the toys in the room and go slowly too.