Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Angry Great....just Great!!

You know my dcg who's turning 1 next week? The one I've had since she was 8mos old and who screamed her head off all day long unless I held her? The one who still doesn't know to feed herself (finger food) or hold her own bottle? The one who will not play if I'm in the room but once I leave is into everything....I re-enter and she whimpers for me to pick her up.........yeah that one.

Well........

Dad tells me that they're taking her to a Montessori for a more educational setting in 2 weeks.

REALLY???? I'd love to see how long it'll last? With all her "teething" diarrhea, fevers and not-clear runny nose. Her refusal to lay down for a diaper change and her screaming when anyone new comes near her. Oh yeah. You'll be getting a warning letter within 1 week I bet!

Just yesterday at the bus stop dcg dropped her little toy and one of the moms picked it up and gave it to her. dcg started to pull back and cried her head off.....oooohhh yeah smart move putting her into a BIG group setting with different people all the time instead of the one-on-one.

Am I bitter? Hell Yeah! I feel like I went though 2 months of a screaming brat for nothing! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Starting to feel at home...
    Sheesh, that's too bad. And the other thing is, she's 12 months! She doesn't necessarily need a more "educational" setting at that age. Weird!

Yeah, I'd be pissed too just because this "superior educational program" is something she can't handle and you know it but the parents don't!! These are the pie in the sky type of parents who sign their kids up for everything because their little darlings are such stars. Parents, get to know your child, access their needs and capabilities before your wants.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

same type stuff has happened to me many times. The kid or family drives you nuts but you push through anyway,then out of the blue WAM! like a ton of bricks, a fast one is played on you and you feel like the fool!!!! I always end up realizing... Everything happens for a reason. And this too, is a blessing in disguise. You just don't see it just yet because you are a little hurt by the fact that you gave these "spoiling" parents and this "spoiled" kid your time and energy and feel like this is their "thanks". doesn't feel very good, I know. but soon they and she will be on to another place and they will learn, no one is better than the other and "they" are the real problem, not the provider. Just let them go and pray for a "good fit" for your private home care. se la vi! adios

Outgoing
    I know exactly how you feel Mamma! I went through the exact same thing this summer. I had a dcg that was very sensitive and cried when I left the room, when the other kids did something she didn't like, or if I wouldn't pick her up... I had her for 6months. Then one day, mom tells me that she had her on a waiting list to get into a Montessori school and she finally got in part time and that a family member would be watching her the other days. Needless to say, that would have been useful information to have at the interview.
    However, now that she's gone I'm glad. My days are soo much easier and non-stressful. I'm still searching for someone to replace her, but I am enjoying my quiet days.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bookworm For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Oh wow, good luck with that Montessori teachers! I am kinda happy for you Mamma Mia because now you can replace this high maintenance family/child with a more normal child I hope. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise and I hope if they beg to come back you say NO!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Ugh with the Montessori thing - it is just a buzz word for profit business use to suck parents in to paying over inflated fees for what they perceive as private elite education.

Seriously if parents were truly educated about Maria Montessori philosophy they would know that her pedagogy was based on belief that INFANTS AND TODDLERS belong at home with a parent and preschoolers should only be in a program 2-3 hours a day ... she likely rolls over in her grave the way her work has been manipulated and commercialized for profit!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Here here Reggio!!!

Starting to feel at home...
    Grrr....indeed MamaMia. *hugs* to you. IMO dealing with this kind of garbage is the most frustrating part of the job. I had parents do something similar to me this past summer. I started caring for their daughter in January when Mum went back to work after mat leave. Honestly - this was the grossest kid ever - she always had green mucus coming out of her nose, and her eyes were always crusted over. You wouldn't believe how many times I had to "remind" the parents about my Sick Policy (which they had signed and agreed to when they placed their daughter in my care) or how many times I suggested that they get her checked out....Anyways after 9 months of putting up with this crud, her parents called me to let me know that they were going to be placing her in a liscenced daycare centre. Apparantly she had been on the waiting list since "before she was even born..." Really ? And this is the first I'm hearing of it ? Please - I may work with children, but credit me with a little more intelligence than this...Oh - and all this after I gave Mum a reduced rate for her summer months dues (she was a teacher and only wanted to bring her kid a couple times a week) If I had known that they were going to dump my ass in a month, I never would half given them a special deal. Ugh ! Sad to say I think every caregiver on this Forum has a horror story (or 6) Wouldn't it be fun to set up a feed where we all list our worst "Grrr....moment" Might be theraputic ! =) Again, hugs to you - I'm sure that you're a fabulous caregiver and it won't take you long to fill her space - hopefully with a parent/family who appreciates a good caregiver when they find one.

So sorry Mama. Also, LMAO re educational setting for a 12 mo.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post: