Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Here!

Euphoric !

New Here!

Hi Everyone,

I have been "lurking" around the forum for a while now and I am now posting with my first of many posts. I will be opening up Feb 2013 (on may leave until Jan 15th).
    I have a question about accepting deposits from parents. If I confirm a family say next week to start in Feb how will this money effect my EI or would it? My husband and I were thinking if it just goes "to the business" and I don't issue myself a pay cheque then I don't need to claim anything and I am in the clear. Anyone know about this?

I was also wondering about deposits from parents. I was thinking about requiring a one month deposit and therefore parents need to give me a months notice before terminating care. It seems from reading on the board that most people ask for a 2 wk deposit. Is a month's deposit asking too much? I figure the more time I have to fill a spot the better.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Euphoric !
    I am also curious if anyone knows of a good accountant in Toronto familiar with daycare deductions etc.

Outgoing
    I believe there is a certain amount (weekly) that you are permitted to earn before it affects your benefits while on mat leave. You should be able to find that on a government website. In terms of income earned, if you open as a sole proprietorship, you will need to declare the income regardless of whether you take any drawings. Only if you are planning to incorporate would you be able to defer drawings. I can't see any benefit in creating a corporation unless you plan to open a centre. Your home insurance would probably not cover a daycare if it is a corporation, and you are looking at a minimum of $1000 in legal fees, and that much per year for accounting.
    You can have your income entered as either the cash or accrual basis, and if you use the accrual basis, the deposit would not be counted at this time, but would be deferred earnings to be used for the client's last two weeks or last month, so you would be okay. If you enter income as received, however, (cash basis) you would need to declare it now. I'm sure it is worth setting up an appointment with an accountant to have them advise you on how to set everything up in the best way for your situation.