Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Halal

Shy

Halal

I have a new 5 year old boy starting next week part time and he only eats meat that is halal. Does anyone have any idea what this is and where I would get it?
    Thanks

I would not be providing that--unless that is your personal choice also--just my two cents. Generally speaking you can find indian grocers though

Euphoric !
    It is meat that has been slaughtered in a particular way that respects the religious views of Muslims. You can get it at special halal butchers and sometimes even in supermarkets depending on where you live (I have seen Halal sections in quite a few supermarkets). HOWEVER...I would not be providing this special food for a dck. I would ask the parents to send his food or just the meat part if that is the only restriction. That is way beyond what is required of you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    If I am not mistaken, Halal is the term used for food that are allowed under Islam dietary guidelines. It has to do with the way the animals are slaughtered, and the types of food they are allowed to eat.
    I have seen Halal chicken at Walmart, and I think the Superstore.

Very special dietary items are the responsibility of the parent to provide. This would just be an added cost to your d/c food budget.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    It is actually not very special dietary item. It is just the way they slaughter animals in Islam. It could be chicken, beef or lamb. No pork allow at all! And there is no halal pork. And you can find them easily in superstore, Walmart and Asian stores( Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi etc.)

It is actually tastier and you can store them for long time because of the way they slaughter animals.

You can either buy Halal food for all your family so you don't need to shop for 2 different meat or you can ask them to bring his/her foods.

Hope it helps

Euphoric !
    If you look at the packages of meat at your local supermarket I bet you will see it everywhere. It's right there on the packages and you probably never even noticed before. And I completely agree with mimi. Any specialty foods at my daycare are supposed to be provided by the parents and there is a clause in the contract to cover that. I had a little girl with a nut allergy and I have a little boy with a lactose allergy and this sounds like it falls into the same category.

Euphoric !
    Because it is a requirement then it is up to the parents to provide. It isn't a case of it would be nice if you would such as some caregivers serve mostly organic but when necessary will buy whatever occassionally rather than go without or have to go to anothe store. By saying you will provide you are commiting to having to shop for special meats, either switching and serving it to your own family always or never serving your family leftovers to the daycare. Never serving pork at all so no ham, bacon, weiners, sausage allowed and no letting any of these foods come in contact with the utensils, counter, etc the child's food is prepared on. There is a lot more to eatiang than just buying the right kind of chicken. It seems a bit odd that the parent didn't go into a lot of detail for you unless you just said ok fine and the parent assumed you understood what all was involved.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I had a Muslim girl last year, however she was not allowed any beef or pork. Her parents were obliged to provide her lunches, when mine were not "okay". we usually know enough ahead of time to warn the parents and they pack a lunch.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gcj For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    It is nothing to be scared of.

Like other posters said - it just means that it is a special way that the animals are killed. They are killed usually by cutting their throats as far as I can recall instead of being shot like other cows would be for regular consumption.

You can buy Halal meat at No Frills. It costs the same as other chicken/beef. No big deal and it tastes the same to me.

As far as dietary restrictions go - that one wouldn't bother me or stress me too much